• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do? Eee PC with busted screen.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blargh

Hi everyone, first post. I hope I'm not out of place.

I recently discovered a lovely root-shaped shattering pattern across my Eee PC screen, effectively making it useless. The screen is beyond repair.

However, the computer still works fine. Mobo, CPU and HDD are all in good shape. I've completely disassembled it, just to have a look and to remove the cracked LCD panel. By the way, the model is a 1000H. It has an Atom N270 1.6 GHz processor, a regular SATA 2,5" HDD and 2 GB of RAM (I added 1 GB some time ago).

As I see it, there are some alternatives here:

1. Get it repaired. I'm not going to go to a store to do this. I can easily replace the LCD myself. It's hard to find though, especially in Sweden. And the few I have found are nearly as expensive as a new computer: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-LCD-Scre...ltDomain_0&hash=item4a9ed8c0db#ht_2717wt_1137. Unless it's a major upgrade, I can't find an excuse to pay $100+ to repair it.

2. Simply throw it away. I won't do that, because I hate throwing away functioning electronics. I'd rather have it gather dust on some shelf. Besides, I can't really bear the thought that it will poison some West African kid trying to extract heavy metals, just like all the other computers getting "recycled".

3. Find an alternate use for it. This is the option I like the most. See below.

I could for instance stick it to the back of a monitor and use it as a desktop computer. I already have a high-end quadcore PC for that though, and don't need a weaksauce one next to it (but maybe as a gift?).

My initial thought was to get a new LCD panel, but mod the screen assembly by adding a rotating hinge, effectively turning it into the Asus T101MT "Tablet eee" (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/27/asus-eee-pc-t101mt-review/) by simply gluing a touch screen onto the panel. Uh, pretty much, anyway. It would still be expensive, but probably not nearly as much as a brand new T101MT. This would be very useful for taking notes in University lectures, but I worry about the small screen size and how much it taxes the PC and battery.

I started this thread in the hopes that someone would give me an idea on what to do with it. I'd rather regulate my fridge temperature with it than throw it away.

use it as a small low powered server

or plug it in to a tv, get a remote for it and use it as a htpc

I don't have a TV, and can't really envision using it as a HTPC, as it's not very powerful.

Server seems like a good idea though. I could just extend it with a portable HDD. I'll keep that as a backup in case I don't find something more creative to do with it :)

fold it to death >:D, but you need a screen to set it all up, dam :(

tbh, a 1.6 atom wouldnt really be worth folding on, but his laptop has a external monitor port which can be used to set up the system :)

i have ran the motherboard of an eee pc 701 without the keyboard/mouse and the screen removed, and it defaults to the external monitor , which makes life alot easier.

Well, I hooked it up to my Dell U2311H 23" IPS monitor via VGA, just to see if it would make a decent "eee Box". It didn't. It seemed to have real trouble powering the 1920x1080 resolution and was fairly slow. Not to mention it was almost overheating, with the fan reaching unacceptable noise levels. Blech. So much for giving my parents a desktop computer...

I'll keep it for now, and see if I can't make a server out of it. But the 2,5" HDD format is really limiting the maximum memory size, so without an external USB HDD, blech.

Didn't find a broken eee pc 1000H with intact screen on ebay.

you can fold on a atom, ever point helps, people round here fold on Pentium 3s which are 600mhz single cores...

i know you can fold on an atom, but as a stand alone folder, it wouldnt do alot,

how ever, if it was used as a sever,letting it fold makes sense as its gona be on any way.

I would not recommend you fold or even use it as a server unless you modify it for better cooling.

I would not recommend you fold or even use it as a server unless you modify it for better cooling.

i agree, i like what this user done http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=30588 ... i have just done the same with my 900 which had a smashed screen .

my eee 900. uses 13w of power when running mprime (with screen removed, and battery fully charged) and only uses 10w at idle, so any one wanting a low power server its worth considering as you can pick up a working Eee Pc 2G Surf motherboard + Ram + Wireless Card for £30.00

Last edited:
Back