• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Intel to Restrict Overclocking on Sandy Bridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is some OCing allowed, just not much.
"A few" extra multis. Sounds like ~500mhz to me.
We are a drop in the bucket. A decent sized one, and one worth exploiting, but a drop nontheless.
I know they won't allow base multiplier because of OEM clocking before, so they locked it, and they say turbo will have a few bins on the top limit, that will only help single threaded applications.

You can believe what you want, I trust what intel tells me about data with products and data of buyers that are overclocking they have the money to do the research and engineers just for the enthusiast market. We are not just drop in the bucket overclockers, because we help the DIY community that does not overclock and that is rare to see that, intel does not want that to fizzle.

Think of it this way, is it harder to select the correct parts and build a PC then to overclock a few bins.:)

Where are the websites on the net that are for non overclocking enthusiast. At one time i wanted to get out the oveclocking forms, just to deal with regular pc problems and I could not find any sites, it's all about overclocking on the net and always has been.

Overclockers are not just a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:
They overclock, you can rest assured of that. It's restricted in the sense that you can't do much with bclk (a 7 MHz + increase is good), but multipliers can work wonders. :)

That, of course, assumes you pay for an unlocked cpu.
This whole thread was about the locked cpus and locked bclk.

That, of course, assumes you pay for an unlocked cpu.
This whole thread was about the locked cpus and locked bclk.
Aye, can't argue with that. It's a pain that overclockers are limited to two CPUs on an entire platform.

Happy New Year! :thup:
some small results to Core i5-2500k

01jgax.jpg 2hdfd.jpg 33hxz.jpg 4af82.jpg

Thanks for posting those pics!

Does CPU-Z need to be updated or something? Those RAM multis don't look right. It seems like the RAM speed is based on a 133MHz Bus speed instead of 100MHz. :confused:

Does SB allow the use of odd multis for RAM?

You're correct jason...they're based on multiplying by 133. I have no idea WHY that is, but they are. Here are the options available on the Intel board I was using. I think I've seen other boards have a DDR3-2000 option as well, so it may be board-specific.

Man, Im so golden. Wife just said today when am I going to build a 2nd computer for the house :D SB here I come! Probably keep this rig the way it is and give me a chance to try out a GTX570 maybe :D

The OCing results, along with the the encoding/transcoding testing on the 2 K series chips are simply amazing! I think Intel really nailed it again :)

As for them limiting the OCers to just the K series chips, thats all fine with me if it yields the results I have been seeing.

In case any of you missed it....5.1GHz stable on air cooling :thup:

stability-5.png

My full article is here...

Hey MIAHALLEN, just tell me when you want to "donate" that CPU to me and Ill "donate" a few dollars to your cause. :D :D

Back