• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide to wiping an SSD [Reset to factory defaults]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is there a reason a simple format wont work?

Ive never owned a SSD

I'd like an answer to this as well!
Why does every forum I go to say to treat an SSD just like any common HDD and then list about a gogol of things not to do while using an SSD?
It's been quite a while since the OP was created so is there any new and simple technique to wipe an SSD so it can be sold without leaving any info on it?

Its been a while since I've done my research, but my understanding is that secure erasing actually tells the controller that all blocks are available for use immediately. Formatting does not help improve performance.

Ok, since someone else recently bumped this I have a question.
I wanted to wipe my SSD and reinstall windows 7.

I reset my SSD with the win7 DOS set of commands.

Steps I used:
Insert Win7 disk and start installation.

01. Using Shift + F10 to get to DOS (at any screen after initial files load)
02. Type: Disk part
03. Type: list disk
04. type: select disk 0 (where 0 was my SSD)
05: type: list disk (to make sure you selected the correct disk)
06: type: clean or clean all

All that was done, and after I closed out of DOS and continued with win7 installation. Everything went swimmingly. Then the problem.

After it reboots my PC gets stuck in the bios load. It just hangs.

I narrowed it to some settings in my bios, but the errors don't make sense.

Loading optimized defauts or whatever lets me into windows, but selecting the 'ICH SATA Control Mode' to AHCI and 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode' to AHCI both or either make the bios stop responding and not post fully.

Ideas? Suggestions? I'm sort of at a loss as those options are to be selected in order to run the SSD optimally.

Im confused, why not to use the OCZ tool or whatelse who got secure erase function inside?! As long as it is from the manufacturer it should work.

Reliable tools were not available when I made this thread. ;)

Also, I don't think it is safe to use OCZ's tool for any random drive.

Nope. but in term there is erase function from manufacturer tool it will work such as OCZ.

OCZ Tool didn't work for my drive some months ago. Maybe they fixed it in newer version.
I'm using parted magic cd and it's working for all SSD that I have or had ( so almost all popular new and old sandforce, marvell and some more ).

Wow, used parted magic via USB - I can really notice a difference from a clean install of windows that I just did. -One before the wipe, and then one after the wipe.

no help?

Ok, since someone else recently bumped this I have a question.
I wanted to wipe my SSD and reinstall windows 7.

I reset my SSD with the win7 DOS set of commands.

Steps I used:
Insert Win7 disk and start installation.

01. Using Shift + F10 to get to DOS (at any screen after initial files load)
02. Type: Disk part
03. Type: list disk
04. type: select disk 0 (where 0 was my SSD)
05: type: list disk (to make sure you selected the correct disk)
06: type: clean or clean all

All that was done, and after I closed out of DOS and continued with win7 installation. Everything went swimmingly. Then the problem.

After it reboots my PC gets stuck in the bios load. It just hangs.

I narrowed it to some settings in my bios, but the errors don't make sense.

Loading optimized defauts or whatever lets me into windows, but selecting the 'ICH SATA Control Mode' to AHCI and 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode' to AHCI both or either make the bios stop responding and not post fully.

Ideas? Suggestions? I'm sort of at a loss as those options are to be selected in order to run the SSD optimally.

It still won't post past the initial phase where it looks for HDDs, SSDs and CD drives. It just hangs. It won't even go as far as 'boot from CD...'

Very frustrating. I don't think a reinstall of the OS is going to help either. It almost is like the BIOS is corrupt. I guess I can try to re-up the BIOS. It's my best chance.

I did take out the battery too, hoping to clear the error. No dice.

Ideas?

It still won't post past the initial phase where it looks for HDDs, SSDs and CD drives. It just hangs. It won't even go as far as 'boot from CD...'

Very frustrating. I don't think a reinstall of the OS is going to help either. It almost is like the BIOS is corrupt. I guess I can try to re-up the BIOS. It's my best chance.

I did take out the battery too, hoping to clear the error. No dice.

Ideas?

Are your trying to secure erase the SSD and then reinstall the OS? Why are you using the Win7 installation DVD to attempt a secure erase?

I used win7 CD/DVD because there was a way to secure erase it, reset back to prime by writing all 0's to the drive. But the error is really annoying. The error seems to be unrelated to an actual installation, since it don't boot past the finding drives part of the BIOS.

I dunno what is wrong.

I don't think that is how secure erasing works. Instructions should be passed to the controller that ensure that blocks are marked free. I don't think filling blocks with zeros matters if they are marked as used by the controller.

easiest way to do it... parted magic, boot off disk WITHOUT SSD IN COMPUTER, plug in once booted to parted magic, find disk, secure erase... done.

Back