• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with my HDD.. Caused by AHCI set for my SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

I keep having problems with my 1TB WD Black Storage drive, it keeps saying it's unaccessible .. I don't really know but I'm thinking it doesn't like working in AHCI mode (which is set because my boot drive is an OCZ Vertex2 60GB)..

Soo .. Vague I know, but any ideas? AHCI is the only thing I can think it doesn't like (shows no errors or anything).. Would setting my controller back to IDE help? But then would it also impact SSD performance?!? :confused:

Cheers! :beer:

Just wondering if you set AHCI mode in the bios before installing the OS??

If changed after there is a way to get the drivers to load. Will wait to see what the answer is as I have to go looking for it.

Tbh I can't remember if I set it before or after .. Either way, drivers are installed and there's no problems with the OS .. Its the WD 1TB drive reporting smart errors, then becoming corrupt despite no actual disc errors (I double checked the drive in my server and its AOK) ..

I think I've found a work around, theres 4 SATA ports attached to a seperate controller on my mobo and setting it to JBOD then formatting the drive has seemed to work..

Still looking for an answer to whether or not ACHI is actually required for the running of an SSD however.

Cheers for the reply bro! :beer:

...Still looking for an answer to whether or not ACHI is actually required for the running of an SSD however.

I have my Vertex 2 set to IDE in Port 5. It is running fine. Reason why I have it set to IDE is because I have Raid 0 array in Port 3/4.

Once you set your V2 to IDE and load OS, you can't go back and change it to AHCI. You will have to reload your OS if you want to switch.

Download the ISO from WD's website for WD Diag 5.04. Burn it on a CD. Go into your BIOS and disable AHCI and turn on IDE mode. Boot up off WD Diag and run a full diagnostic on the drive. It might be failing.

Hmm, thats odd. Did you load the AHCI drivers when you switched?

My Cavair black 640 supports AHCI mode as I am running that and can see that drive...though its not bootable, its just a storage drive.

Once you set your V2 to IDE and load OS, you can't go back and change it to AHCI. You will have to reload your OS if you want to switch.
Sure you can...

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831

Well, I was right until you came along...:rolleyes:

That is great info and thanks for the correction. I do need to clarify for CHIV boards, you can't set AHCI if you have Ports 1-4 set to Raid. If Raid enable, your two choices are Raid and IDE for port 5/6.

Back