• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playing Blu-Ray Movies on 2560x1600 Resolution Monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamingDaemon

Hello,

I have/had another thread on this topic, but it was in the monitors section. I am thinking I am attacking this all wrong.

My question/concern is what will happen when I play a blu-ray movie, either from my blu-ray optical drive of my PC, or from my hard-drive, on a 30 inch monitor with a resolution of 2560x1600?

So:

1) Will it be a small box that is 1920x1080, with black bars on all four sides?

2) Will my video card, a Diamond ATI 5870, try to scale it up to 2560x1600?

3) And if it does scale it up, like to 2560x1440, will it be fuzzy and blocky? Or will it be crips and sharp?

Thanks in advance!

It will mostly depend upon your video card and monitor combination. I was playing with my sister's Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP 30" with an 8800 GT and I was driving the monitor at full 2550 x 1600 resolution for the desktop without problems. I used VLC player to play a 1080p movie (at 1080p) at full screen and the monitor displayed it quite nicely. Keep in mind, that it was no sharper than any other 1080p display, it just used its hardware expansion/smoothing to display a lesser resolution on its higher resolution display.

It will mostly depend upon your video card and monitor combination. I was playing with my sister's Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP 30" with an 8800 GT and I was driving the monitor at full 2550 x 1600 resolution for the desktop without problems. I used VLC player to play a 1080p movie (at 1080p) at full screen and the monitor displayed it quite nicely. Keep in mind, that it was no sharper than any other 1080p display, it just used its hardware expansion/smoothing to display a lesser resolution on its higher resolution display.

Cool, thanks!

I will be using it with my ATI Diamond 5870 and ArcSoft's TotalTheatre media player.

I bought the Pavtube Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate software and absolutely love it as I find it very useful for my needs especially for transferring personal videos, Tivo programs, and BD DVD movies to my iPad.

Back