• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Thuban P-state and you; ie why can't I overclock this POS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
I figured this deserved a post in of itself due to my three-ring-circus trying to get Thuban to overclock. So first off:

The Problem:
Because AMD changed the way the p-states (ie power states) of Thuban and thus there are a variety of motherboards out there that overclock well without issue and others that do not and are horribly unreliable.

Most Phenom II chips have 2 power saving states and one full performance mode. Thuban has 3 and a boost mode. Why is this important? Boost causes stability issues because it forces several cores to either current multiplier +2 or to their respective boost state (ie 3.6ghz @ 1.3v for me) at what feel like random intervals.

The Fix:
Turn cool and quiet off, turn turbo off.... IF your motherboard has that option. There are many out there like myself that do not have that option. For those of us stability goes into the crapper and effectively forces stock clocks. This is especially true for those of us who are not using AMD chipsets and cannot use Overdrive.

The Work Around:
Most people (I only found out about this recently) are using programs like K10STAT and PhenomMsrTweaker to circumvent Thuban's pstates and manually overclock the chip in windows.

How Does it work?:
First you would go into your bios; set everything as default; turn cool and quiet off if you have that option and download one of the formentioned programs:

Step 1:
PhenomMsrTweaker: http://phenommsrtweake.sourceforge.net/
K10STAT: http://sites.google.com/site/k10stat/

Step 2: ????

Step 3: Profit!

As long as you can boot to windows; even if your motherboard doesn't "support" Thuban you can force what clocks you want using this program. If anyone is having stability issues with Thuban I HIGHLY reccomend you give it a shot:

pstate.jpg

Thanks for this! I have two AM3 motherboards, one of which has the P-state issue when overclocking. Unfortunately, the board that has issues doesn't have the option yet to turn off Turbo mode in the BIOS.

One thing to mention. Once you get a bios update and can oc' from the bios, don't expect 4ghz as easily as setting mulitpliers. I use K10stat when I bench because there is no way in hell I could boot anywhere near 4161mhz for a cpu-z validation. K10stat is nice, but the clocks are somewhat unrealistic. Even if you set a speed and stress test it, I've found that by far the most stress on the system comes from booting into Windows.

Other than that, I'm glad you got it worked out. And PS. not just thuban has 3 performance P-states. All Phenom II's do and Phenom I might also.

Back