• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally stable but am i running safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

Cliffnotes: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645300

Well, Since i've back down to 3 cores (to monitor temps in new case) i've decided to see if i can finally reach 3.7 stable which usually should not have been hard, but i had issues.

These are my specs and temps on my OC. Am i running any voltages too high or playing with fire?

Thanks!

Full load during p95 , ran stable for hrs previously. Enlarge to see coretemps temps
mtwkg2.png.jpg
15zf3bl.png.jpg

BIOS shots.
v5y03r.jpg
1z3mf0p.jpg

CPUNB voltage is too high! Max safe is about 1.225-1.25. Other volatages and temps look good.

That's all I got too. Cpu-Nb voltage is way too high. But then again this is coming from someone who pumps 1.5v during benching. :/

The clocks look good though. Those temps are great and once you get the voltages in check it'll scream for you. :D

Sigh. I can't remember the last time I tried to oc' my cpu... for 24/7 use that is. :D

Last edited:
crazy thing is that the cpu nb is on auto. i wonder why its that high on auto..should i turn it down?

its been like that since i got the board, even on stock.

1.20v is a good setting for cpuNB as a start.

I saw it was on Auto with the voltage that high - now you know why we recommend manual settings. Otto is not a very good overclocker and sometimes can't even handle the side-streets well ... :-/

Well now im aboard the failboat. I cant keep stable in p95 past 30 mins now that i've backed down that cpunb voltage. Only reason why i think it would have made a difference is because i had my CPUNB FREQ @ 2600. Im 100% Stable @ 3.5 on 3 and 4 cores. 3.7 seems to be a dream for me on 3 cores, not sure why i've hit a wall, i guess im just not tweaking hard enough. Is there any reccomendations for HTT and CPUNB freq that may help?

im solid stable on 3 and 4 cores [email protected]... @ 2000 on HTT and CPUnb cpu volts @ 1.425 (i actually had to go that high to make it stable)
Temps are groovy @ 17*C idle and 26ish @ load

Last edited:
cpuNB voltage can go as high as 1.30v safely on the 720BE, even AMD says that (just looked it up) - though I don't know why that chip is 0.05v higher than everything else I've seen. Even the X4's top out at a safe limit of 1.25v. *weird* Obviously, it wouldn't hurt to increase your cpuNB voltage since your load core temp (I assume ????) is looking good.

I would also decrease the cpuNB speed for now. There's no reason (other than performance) to run it that fast with those CPU speeds. The King of Performance is still CPU speed so work on that first and go back to cpuNB speed next with RAM speed in third and HT Link speed waaaay back there in order of performance gain ... :)

Reducing NB frequency should help, like QI says. If you aren't lowering the multi when you up the FSB then then that is getting OC'c too and 2600 is pretty high.

I have my FSB at 240 and NB at 9x, auto (10x) is not stable. Maybe I could make it stable with lots of of cpu/nb volts but the performance gain is so low it aint worth the heat.

edit
I see you are using the multi to OC not FSB, even so, lowering the NB frequency to 2200 or there about should really help!

cpuNB voltage can go as high as 1.30v safely on the 720BE, even AMD says that (just looked it up) - though I don't know why that chip is 0.05v higher than everything else I've seen. Even the X4's top out at a safe limit of 1.25v. *weird* Obviously, it wouldn't hurt to increase your cpuNB voltage since your load core temp (I assume ????) is looking good.

I would also decrease the cpuNB speed for now. There's no reason (other than performance) to run it that fast with those CPU speeds. The King of Performance is still CPU speed so work on that first and go back to cpuNB speed next with RAM speed in third and HT Link speed waaaay back there in order of performance gain ... :)

So i guess as previously stated by others my cpu NB wasnt "tooo" high, was high but was within specs for my specific processor. Good to hear, i've bumped it back up to 1.275 and it seems to be running stable back @ 3.7ghz on 1.475v.

So i guess as previously stated by others my cpu NB wasnt "tooo" high, was high but was within specs for my specific processor. Good to hear, i've bumped it back up to 1.275 and it seems to be running stable back @ 3.7ghz on 1.475v.
Otto was running it at 1.35v before, according to the screen shot of your BIOS. Anyway, as long as it's under 1.30v for that processor you should be safe enough, and your temps seem good ... :)

What are you using to monitor temps? You mentioned a 17* idle, and that's 62* Fahrenheit... I'm just going to assume you're using coretemp, and then I'm going to let you know that coretemp has a bug on Phenom II 720's. You have to manually set a 12* offset to get correct temps. Gimme a second to get you a screenshot.

Attachments

• Temperature Offset.png
    Temperature Offset.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 93
What are you using to monitor temps? You mentioned a 17* idle, and that's 62* Fahrenheit... I'm just going to assume you're using coretemp, and then I'm going to let you know that coretemp has a bug on Phenom II 720's. You have to manually set a 12* offset to get correct temps. Gimme a second to get you a screenshot.

my temps are from HWMonitor Pro & Coretmp. Which in that case im assuming the bug is on all core temperature reading programs?

because they both read the same.

Either way im still nice and cold with a 12* + offset
the info is much appreciated though

Last edited:
Yeah. The bug is within the cpu really. Coretemp is just the only monitor where you can set an offset. But yeah. you should still be nice and cool with the offset in place. These chips aren't space heaters. :thup:

that whole high cpu/nb high voltage might be an asus thing, because my crosshair III set mine at the same on auto, 1.35.

never really realized until I started reading the forums here and over clocking my own pc, so it ran at that for months before I dropped it below 1.3.

Back