Registered

Question Case Fan not spinning -- Bearing Problem ?

Guyz,

I have Thermaltake Armor MX+ case, and the Side-fan has developed a problem.

Well, i had put the Case fan in front of a running table fan, which caused the case fan to move at high speed due to air injected via the table fan (NOTE i had done this, when i had removed the case fan for cleaning)
    So now, almost every time the case fan dont start up when i turn ON my PC. I had to push the blades manually and then it starts....

So, i suspect the bearings are off-balance ? Its hard when i try to spin blades with my hand...

What can be the problem - Please suggest a remedy.

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    The fan is probably shot. Those large ones are usually really poor quality and you can bend the axle/bearings easily due to the size of the fan. You could try to open the fan up and re-oil it, but I doubt that will fix it for long or at all.

Best option is replace or leave it out. Those things don't move any air anyway.
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

Registered
    I cant get a new one, so i have to repair it..

Can i do oiling? if yes, what oil should be used.... Normal (hair-oil) coconut oil is ok?

Any other remedies to correct off-balance bearings

Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    I cant get a new one, so i have to repair it..

Can i do oiling? if yes, what oil should be used.... Normal (hair-oil) coconut oil is ok?

Any other remedies to correct off-balance bearings
    I think hes referring to something more along the lines of WD-40 oil.
    Reading Read

Quote Originally Posted by Tsnowflake View Post
    I think hes referring to something more along the lines of WD-40 oil.
    From what I have heard WD-40 oil can actually make a fan worse. Although there have been no real tests.

I have used any form of sewing machine oil or lubricant because it is ment for fast rotations and long lasting use with great success. If you do have to push the fan to get it started now, more then likely the oil will help but that fan is about to be dead anyways.

Folding@Home in Downunder Australia.Victoria
    If you can get some Singer Sawing Machine oil that works wonders for fans, you only need one tiny drop , but if the shaft is bent slightly, it wont really help though