• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Fan not spinning -- Bearing Problem ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craige

Registered
Guyz,

I have Thermaltake Armor MX+ case, and the Side-fan has developed a problem.

Well, i had put the Case fan in front of a running table fan, which caused the case fan to move at high speed due to air injected via the table fan (NOTE i had done this, when i had removed the case fan for cleaning)
So now, almost every time the case fan dont start up when i turn ON my PC. I had to push the blades manually and then it starts....

So, i suspect the bearings are off-balance ? Its hard when i try to spin blades with my hand...

What can be the problem - Please suggest a remedy.

The fan is probably shot. Those large ones are usually really poor quality and you can bend the axle/bearings easily due to the size of the fan. You could try to open the fan up and re-oil it, but I doubt that will fix it for long or at all.

Best option is replace or leave it out. Those things don't move any air anyway.

I cant get a new one, so i have to repair it..

Can i do oiling? if yes, what oil should be used.... Normal (hair-oil) coconut oil is ok?

Any other remedies to correct off-balance bearings

I cant get a new one, so i have to repair it..

Can i do oiling? if yes, what oil should be used.... Normal (hair-oil) coconut oil is ok?

Any other remedies to correct off-balance bearings

I think hes referring to something more along the lines of WD-40 oil.

I think hes referring to something more along the lines of WD-40 oil.

From what I have heard WD-40 oil can actually make a fan worse. Although there have been no real tests.

I have used any form of sewing machine oil or lubricant because it is ment for fast rotations and long lasting use with great success. If you do have to push the fan to get it started now, more then likely the oil will help but that fan is about to be dead anyways.

If you can get some Singer Sawing Machine oil that works wonders for fans, you only need one tiny drop , but if the shaft is bent slightly, it wont really help though

Back