• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking advice MB, for i7-930 OC & SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtrisr

Hi,
i would like to ask for some advice about MB for my new rig:
CPU: i7-930 OC
cooling: h50 or h70 WC.
GPU: PALIT GTX460 SONIC 1GB/2GB GDDR5 256bit @SLI
RAM: G.Skill 6GB Kit DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHZ 8-8-8-24 Ripjaws F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM
PSU: Seasonic X-750 750W
CASE: CoolerMaster HAF-932

gaming, 3D vision, multi monitor system.

as for MB i been looking at ASUS P6X58D-E for some time reading about the bios / support and such
and kept comparing it to gigabyte UD3R.
but going to the shop to buy one, i found out its priced very close to UD5 (rev.2) and UD7,
and now i cant get my mind around what do you think will be best? thanks in advance. ^^

Last edited:
Depending on your price range, the X58a-UD5 has a lot of god reviews and is not that much different than the X58a-UD7. I gave the X58a-UD7 a lot of serious consideration, but in the end I went with the ASUS Rampage III Extreme when I found it on sale for $20.00 less than the X58a-UD7. I am glad I went with the R3E as I like the layout better and especially the additional power supply connectors (which the UD5/UD7 lacked in comparison). The R3E BIOS has a wealth of options (Being a DFI enthusiast, it is nice to see another mfg give the user so much control over settings). The ROG connect feature is pretty cool too.:thup:

when i was searching for ud3r alternative the P6X58D-E always came up
as for most countries the price for both is about the same so i went for the ASUS MB, but then i found out the pricing here :bang head and it was going like that,
what would you choose then:

Rampage III cost here - 510$
Rampage II Extreme ~440$.
P6x58D-E - 390$

UD9 - 705$
UD7 - 440$
UD5 - 370$
UD3R - 265$

as you can see its cost ~400$ and prices around the same as UD5/7 and Rampage II.

i don't have the current cash to go higher. tho if you think that will be best option i will drop 1 of the GPU and will get it at later date.

If you just HAVE to have a SLI setup right now (understandable), go with the UD5. Myself, I would go with the R3E and SLI down the road. The cost savings of getting another GPU at later date would allow for a better board now. Check out NCIX for prices on shipping, it may help out.

Hi,
i would like to ask for some advice about MB for my new rig:
cooling: h50 or h70 WC.

gaming, 3D vision, multi monitor system.

as for MB i been looking at ASUS P6X58D-E for some time reading about the bios / support and such
and kept comparing it to gigabyte UD3R.
but going to the shop to buy one, i found out its priced very close to UD5 (rev.2) and UD7,
and now i cant get my mind around what do you think will be best? thanks in advance. ^^

If i was you i'd consider the ASUS P6X58D premium its a better board usb3.0 and sata3

R3E sound great but its 120$ extra. and i'll need to go find a new mem for it.

so just to try and make it simpler
out of those 3 what would you vote for?

P6x58D-E , UD5, UD7 ? since they all under the same price tag. *more or less*

Last edited:
If i was you i'd consider the ASUS P6X58D premium its a better board usb3.0 and sata3
P6X58D-E has it too, premium has 1 LAN more, cooler for PWM/water cooling setups ( like anyone need it ) and reset button onboard ...

P6X58D-E should be much cheaper , 390$ is like for premium board.
P6X58D-E and UD5 are almost the same and offers the same. UD7 overclocks a bit better but it depends from cpu and cooling ( on water you won't see any difference ). I had UD4P, UD4 and was playing a bit with UD5. Now I have P6X58D-E and I see no point to change it to anything else unless I get easy access to LN2.

I'd go with the MSI big bang, it's cheaper than the R3E.

cant find any retailer.

and I've been thinking all day about what Dieselburb wrote, considering to buy the R3E.. since it is a better mobo then the rest.
while reading those review/comparison over and over :shock:

benchmark review
overclockersclub

plus the other you guys linked, i came to a conclusion since i am only planning to OC to 4.2mhz, run sli and no LN2 in the "near" future.
i can't see any reason to spend 130$ more and a total of 530$ and get the R3E, even if its the better mobo since i wont put it in "extreme" use.

does it sound logical ? lol i am so confused :confused:

i know i dont want gigabyte any more even if it cheaper. after reading so much. i cant even make up any particular reason to why exactly i did that. :chair:

so if its R3E @530$ or P6x58D-E @400$ do you think i should just go R3E any way? *put aside the SLI issue.

Last edited:
The confusion is understandable, so many variables to consider and if you are unable to remove the cash factor it can create more difficulties. If you have to have dual LAN ports take the P6X58D-E or maybe consider the EVGA FTW3 (same price range, dual LAN, SLI, good OC).

thank you guys for all the help.

at the end i will go with ASUS P6X58D-E even if it's going to cost extra.

so my final spec will be :

MOBO: Asus P6X58D-E
total cost will be roughly 2000$.

i'll keep this thread update once the part will arrive :D

hi again,

well i ordered the items above. will take a week or two to get here.
added h70 to the list yay :)

about a screen,
what you think will be best for gaming/cad, aimed at 3 monitors. with 460 2gb @SLI

IPS / TN ?
23" or 24" ?

read about Dell U2410 and the 23", samsung p2370 & xl2370, and a little about asus the new 3D vg monitor sounds nice bundled with the 3D glasses but pricey...

what about if i setup a middle monitor -3D compatible and the other two wont be . will that work?

Last edited:
You might want to post the monitor question in the monitors section but you will want a 120Hz screen if you want 3D.

Btw, I was in the same boat as you on mobos and settled on the eVGA X58 FTW3. Great board. Now I'm researching watercooling before I start overclocking.

no question

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution ...you could get as high as 16 pipe x3 SLI...I never looked back

Back