• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Lot in a Little

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TaHoward

Registered
Started with a simple CPU loop in my Antec 300 for an E8500 and thought it time to expand.

Case: Lian-Li PC-P50
CPU: i7 940
Memory: Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24
GPU: EVGA GTX 480
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
HDD: WD 500GB
ODD: Plextor DVD-RW

Cooling

Res: XSPC 5.25" Dual Bay Res/Pump
Pump: 2x Swiftech MCP355
Radiator: XSPC RX120 and RX240
Blocks: EK SUpreme HF Nickle+Plexi and EK GTX 480 Nickle+Plexi
Tubing: Tygon 3/8ID 5/8OD
Coolant: F1 UV BLue
Fans: 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon

Loop Config:

Res-> Pump-> CPU -> RX120-> Res-> Pump-> GTX480-> RX240

Some pics after many hours :)

The case freshly anodized.
DSC00863.jpg

Block installed on Motherboard.
DSC00857.jpg

Block on GPU...yay!
DSC00859.jpg

Majority of the hard stuff finished. Drilled some mounting holes on the left and right outer sides of the 5.25" bay for two hard drives. Using only one in this build. The drives plug in to the mounting holes reusing the rubber gromets and mounting screws included with the case.
DSC00871.jpg

Top view.
DSC00867.jpg

Done.
DSC00923.jpg

UV at work. :D
DSC00921.jpg

What do you guys think?

I've gotten close to my final overclock. So far I've got:

i7 940 @ 4.2Ghz w/ 1.343V Vcore and BLCK @ 200Mhz w/ 1.25V Uncore in BIOS

1.336V in CPU-Z idle.

Temps with LinX running max out at 60C on the CPU.

Had to disable HT which seems to want another .075-.1 V to run stable. Gets friggin hot too @ about 70C :(

Got the GPU stable on OCCT 30 minute runs w/ error checking @ 880/1760/2160 w/ 1.138V set in Afterburner which reads 1.123-5 in GPU-Z. I tolerate no errors. :)

Temps for the GPU do not go above 56C on OCCT and I rarely see 49C with moderate gaming.

So far this looks like a solid rig that will be lasting a while. :D

If anyone has any tips about getting HT stable without enormous increases in Vcore that would be appreciated.

I think it turned out very nicely. I wouldn't suspect a whole loop was inside your case with the what you did it. Very nice work. :thup:

Really great-looking work!

That's crazy that your CPU ran 70 degrees with Hyperthreading on, never seen that before. Then again, you do have a very high overclock, and a fairly small rad to handle your CPU and GPU together, so it doesn't come as too much of a surprise. But I'm still really impressed with the final package; nice job. Great looking, and sounds like it runs great too! :)

Thanks.

It's not with just HT turned on. The voltage has to be cranked to 1.45~ as well to run stable stress benchs @ 4.2. Pretty sure nearing 1.45-1.5V will make any liquid cooled system, no matter the radiator, get a little toasty. This is without much tweaking though. 70C is the highest I've seen it run with LinX stable.

I've seen stability varies greatly with the QPI setting. I.E. Setting my QPI one notch below 1.25V with my current OC will cause a BSOD in the middle of a bench. But I can run hours on P95 or LinX with 1.25 O-o

I might be missing something or my CPU in particular really just needs the voltage cranked for HT.

+.1V to get HT stable seems too much imo.

Here is a link to my OC discussion.

Last edited:
Aw, man, that is awesome! I was just about to set up my own Lian Li PC-P50 build and stumbled upon this thread here. Thank you!
Currently I have an old E8500 C2D, and I do not intend to overclock any part of my computer.
I am doing it purely for the noise reduction, I hate my air cooling :) And it will be my first water cooled computer, yay!

With that said, can you perhaps outline some more details about your water cooling setup? How much tubing did you use? I was planning on ordering 3 meters. Should be enough, I guess :)

Any special fittings you used, like 45 or 90 degree ones?

Would it be possible to get a higher resolution photograph of your setup, so I can inspect it closer myself? Perhaps then I would not be asking any questions in the first place :)

And finally, would a 650W PSU be enough to power this setup, or do I need more?

Thank you :)

Aw, man, that is awesome! I was just about to set up my own Lian Li PC-P50 build and stumbled upon this thread here. Thank you!
Currently I have an old E8500 C2D, and I do not intend to overclock any part of my computer.
I am doing it purely for the noise reduction, I hate my air cooling :) And it will be my first water cooled computer, yay!

With that said, can you perhaps outline some more details about your water cooling setup? How much tubing did you use? I was planning on ordering 3 meters. Should be enough, I guess :)

Any special fittings you used, like 45 or 90 degree ones?

Would it be possible to get a higher resolution photograph of your setup, so I can inspect it closer myself? Perhaps then I would not be asking any questions in the first place :)

And finally, would a 650W PSU be enough to power this setup, or do I need more?

Thank you :)

Three meters is more than enough.

The only special fitting is a Bitspower 90 that goes from the GPU straight to the 240 Rad.

If I had no budget, there would have been a few 45's going from the Pump->CPU->120 Rad

Yes, a 650 Watt PSU would cover the power requirements.

A little bit of warning, watch fluid levels closely if you buy the Dual XSPC Res. Depending on which pump gets the most back pressure, all the coolant will migrate till the left or right chamber is completely topped off. Leaving the other a bit lower in fluid level. Has not been a problem, but also should be taken in to consideration when filling the res (TURN IT OFF FIRST!!! XD). Ya...

If you still need a better picture send a PM to me. I don't have a camera available atm though. :S

On a random note, system is happy @ 4.0Ghz 200x20 w/ 1.4V max temp is 70C on 12 hour P95 tests HT enabled. Lately, max temps seem to have taken a small drop to 66~67C, might be the AC5 finally setting in.

I'm making plans to fit another RX240 on the top internally by adding an anodized DIY rad box that will bolt into a cutout made on the top cover panel where the 140mm fans sit. I'd imagine it turning out real slick. I might go for another RX120 instead and place the existing 240 in the installed box so I can fit a fan controller/monitoring system in the 5.25 bay as well. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments. :)

Last edited:
Back