• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED MoBo Swap. Do i have to buy win7 again?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MS is very lenient. I have had to call many times with OEM and retail versions. Spanning the last 3 os'es (never had a problem with activation in the 90's...)
the only thing they ask... "Is this installed on only one system?"

He is breaking the EULA. he is upgrading, not replacing due to motherboard malfunction.

To be within the EULA and if you're changing hardware. You must meet the following criteria:

-Must use the same case the OEM COA sticker is attached to.
-You can only replace the board if it is faulty, not if you're upgrading.

If you meet both, then you are within the EULA boundaries. If only one, then you're breaking it.

What the OP is doing is in gray area. so as long as he knows what he's doing, MS is none the wiser.

also, going from that p5ql-vm to that p5q pro is no major change. They are the same chipset, although the 'pro' version might have onboard RAID, so it uses a different southbridge. So as long as the OS is originally installed using basic ATA drivers with no AHCI or RAID, then the OS should come up without a problem.

Those are not the terms of the EULA. (ninja edit: the COA must be on the case, but the motherboard part is not in the EULA) The EULA simply states the license is bound to the "computer" you initially install it on and nothing more.

I went back and read the link IMOG posted, it actually describes the situation pretty well:

http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?pageid=552846#faq1

read question #8

I got that from the second post in the link IMOG posted.

So, if MS asks why you're activating, saying that the original mainboard is defective will keep you within the license terms.

Wether or not the mobo is defective really has nothing to do with the license terms. Based on whats in that faq it might make your life easier when reactivating, but in the end the FAQ is not the same as the actual EULA.

The EULA can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

Here is the important difference between the OEM EULA and Retail EULA:
The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

It seems sort of arbitrary arguing about differences between FAQs and the EULA, but the differences between them are pretty darn important. The actual EULA is the only thing that matters (is legaly binding).

Wether or not the mobo is defective really has nothing to do with the license terms. Based on whats in that faq it might make your life easier when reactivating, but in the end the FAQ is not the same as the actual EULA.

The EULA can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

Here is the important difference between the OEM EULA and Retail EULA:

It seems sort of arbitrary arguing about differences between FAQs and the EULA, but the differences between them are pretty darn important. The actual EULA is the only thing that matters (is legaly binding).

The FAQ is what defines the term 'computer'. By upgrading the motherboard, you are creating a new computer, thus requiring a new license. herpa derp.

Obviously you cannot make the connection here.

( There was a dumb idea here )

No, because that'd be unethical and unnecessary. Be honest, tell them you are upgrading your motherboard, explain you have a valid installation of windows currently, and you are concerned that after the upgrade your copy of windows will no longer work. Ask what they can do for you, and you may find doing the right thing can work out pretty well.

Garcia,

An example I can relate to with XP Pro within the last year:

I have an OEM version and my 939 motherboard borked so I built new with a DFI board and an Intel E7500.

I knew what would happen with a fresh install and it did. So I called the MS number, told them exactly what happened and that the old 939 board was no longer made. They gave me a new key and off I went. Took a total of 7 minutes on the phone. Now I don't know if they are as lenient with Windows 7 but you can try it but be honest and straighforward with them. They won't bite your head off, at least that has been my experience with this issue on several occasions.

I have no idea how 7 behaves, but with XP/Vista I've upgraded Dells that reused nothing but the harddrives (sometimes not even that) and had no problems activating. Didn't even have to call MS.

I would just do a fresh install and try to activate it. If it gives you problems, then call MS and explain what happened. Be sure they know it's only on one machine and they'll probably have no problems helping you activate it.

I've had the same experience many times. A few other times I've had to call. That was never a problem either. I haven't yet tried it with Windows 7, but I hope the same will apply.

Wow intense thread here. Is all the concern only because it is an OEM version? If it was a disk he bought at newegg for $99.00 for example would this be the same concern?

I personally have reinstalled Windows more times than I can count on more motherboards and setups than I care to remember. I have had to call a couple times and each time I was doing an upgrade and told MS that. Without any problem I was given a new key. This was XP at least, is 7 that different?

Wow intense thread here. Is all the concern only because it is an OEM version? If it was a disk he bought at newegg for $99.00 for example would this be the same concern?

Probably, AFAIK the $99 "system builder" version = oem version.

I've had to call MS a few times for activation and have never even had to speak to an actual person. The automated system asks how many computers its installed and gives you an activation key, simple as that.

The only mistake I ever made with MS was actually buying my first PC with it already installed. I don't call MS for anything anymore period and never will again. I also don't pay for my OS for the very reasons stated. Now that pc's DON'T come with OS discs and DO have problems with hardware changes and whatnot I will be switching over to linux at the first available opportunity hardware be damned.
I stay broke so this will wait.

Was able to use my Asus Recovery disk and then prompted me to call Win7 hot line and received a new #. Thanks for the help.

PLEASE CLOSE

wow your lucky! i had OEM vista and had to change the mother board after a failure and i couldn't get the same one. MS told me to F off and buy it again. there is a thread... an old one on here somewhere.

wow your lucky! i had OEM vista and had to change the mother board after a failure and i couldn't get the same one. MS told me to F off and buy it again. there is a thread... an old one on here somewhere.
They just new Vista was crap and needed to sell more so they did that. :p

Back