• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still deciding. HD 5770 or GeForce GTX 260

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, the 5770 is Direct X 11 compliant..so for me the choice is made right there. When in doubt, go with future "proofing".

That said, I wouldn't settle for less than a 5830. They can be had for $199...the extra 30 bucks gets a lot more card in my opinion.

GTX260 performs better. The 5770 has DX11. So, if you're playing older games, older as in last year, go with the GTX260. If you're going to be playing newer games and games that come out in the future, get the 5770. Though if you decide on the 260, consider the Radeon 4890, it's a more powerful, last-gen card that you should be able to get for around the same price.

The GTX 260 C216 will give you a higher FPS since the 5770 is roughly equivalent in gaming performance to the 4870. Where the 5770 comes in handy is its newer generation technology that results in a 'leaner' option: DX11, 40nm vs 65nm, lower power consumption, shorter length, one 6-pin connector vs 2 connectors.

The choice is ultimately yours but I don't think the GTX 260's price justifies what you're getting for your money. I chose the 5770 and I hope you will too.

I think i will be going with the 5770. And i might crossfire some later on.

Thanks all for the advice.

On the nVidia side, consider the GTX460 1GB card instead of the 260GTX-216. Both are still around the same price new. Also the 460 doesn't run as hot as its bigger Fermi brethren.

I agree with the 460 idea. You can get the 768mb version for $200 and the much better imho 1 gig for ~$220. Yes it's $40 more than the card you linked, but much better performance, cooler, and dx11.

Although when you are looking at $145 (AMIR) vs $200-220 it makes the 5770 look more appealing ;)

I never consider MIR in the price as it's a 50/50 crap shoot if you will ever get them. They are a nice bonus, but never count on 'em IMHO.

True i never count on them ether. Because you never know if they are gonna crap you.
Though my mom is pretty good at getting them. When i built my current rig she got both of the ones i was suppose to. You have to read the fine print and she also had to call for one of them. But i got them.

Depends on my budget when the time comes. I have been thinking of a GTX 460. I love nvidia and have never had any major problems with their cards. Plus i hear that ati drivers support sucks.

What is the performance gains from a HD5770 to a GTX 460.

Power computation/ overclock capability.

There is so many cards to chose from. I know right when i buy a card the next day its gonna be $20 off or something. But i want to be able to sli or crossfire them in the future.

This is the PSU i ordered and it only has/ PCI-Express Connector 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

So i cant sli or cross fire a card that takes two Pci connectors. :( Right?

Last edited:
Plus i hear that ati drivers support sucks.

What is the performance gains from a HD5770 to a GTX 460.

Power computation/ overclock capability.

There is so many cards to chose from. I know right when i buy a card the next day its gonna be $20 off or something. But i want to be able to sli or crossfire them in the future.

This is the PSU i ordered and it only has/ PCI-Express Connector 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin

So i cant sli or cross fire a card that takes two Pci connectors. :( Right?

I'll address the SLI/crossfire issue first. Since you have only 2 PCI connectors, it will be tough, but not impossible to SLI/xfire cards like a GTX460 or HD5830. What many cards come packaged with is converters that use 2 4-pin molex connectors to make 1 PCI connect for VGA cards. Some say this conversion isn't as reliable as using the PCI connectors on the PSU itself. I think it comes down to the amps on each rail, but I'm still a little confused on that stuff myself :/

As for the driver support for ATi cards, let alone the 5770, I've never had a problem myself. Drivers were a big issue when I was considering buying, but it turned out to be a nonexistent issue. The 5000 series has been out long enough, in my opinion, that many driver issues were resolved. Of course, after I bought my 5770, the GTX 460 came out...

If you plan on using 2 cards, go with the 5770. If your mainly gonna stick to one card for awhile, I'd say go GTX 460.

hey i have a question. im getting a gigabyte 460 fermi 1GB, and like the OP im buying a PSU with 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin. heres the link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017 . my question is this, and it might have been answered before indirectly but i would like a confirmation. the gtx 460 requires 2 6-pin connectors right? does this psu on my link, with 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin qualify as having 2 6 pin connectors and thus be compatible with the 460? im 90% sure but i need a confirmation. thanks in advance.

Your PSU should be fine for a SINGLE GTX460. I wouldn't try to SLI them on a 600w PSU though.

Back