• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SWAT 4 Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twiggy159

I know it's an old game but I recently tired running it on my rig and it seems that I can't even get to the splash screens when I boot up the game. The resolution just flickers for a while and does nothing and I eventually have to end the process. Anyone know why this is happening? I've seen that it works on Windows 7 yet not for me.

Core i7 920 @4GHZ
GTX480 Video card

I think the video card may be too good for it but my friend is using his 5780 and it works fine.

All my drivers are up to date.

I downloaded it from Direct2Drive which should of included the patch anyways. I even tried installing the patch and said it was already up to date.

Have you tried XP Compatibility mode?

Yeah I've tried compatibility mode and even trying to change the game to run in windowed mode and at a set resolution through it's .ini file and it seems to ignore it. No luck anywhere. Do you think I could just swap out my gtx 480 with my old 280 to see if it works? I'm pretty sure it would but to clarify my question is; Do I have to reinstall new drivers for the gtx 280 or can I just leave the old 480 drivers? Pretty sure they're identical anyways.

Change out the drivers if you do decide to swap cards and find out if that is the culprit. Any problems in your Windows 7 registry?

No it's actually a fairly clean install of Windows 7.

This is what the error report says if it helps at all:

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (E_INVALIDARG). Please delete your Swat4X.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3DRenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- HandleBigChange <- UD3DRenderDevice::Lock <- UViewport::Lock <- UWindowsViewport::Lock <- PrecacheRenderData <- Precaching <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop->GenerateExtraCrashInfo [(GLevel: 'myLevel' PendingLevel: '(NULL)' NetMode: 'NM_Standalone'] <- MainLoop

Hm, I've never had to manually install DirectX before. Where do I want to install these files at? It seems to extract a bunch of them but I'm not sure where to put them.

EDIT:

Okay I got it installed but still no luck. I think it seems to be my monitor's resolution. My monitor's resolution is 1600x900 and the closes two resolution that SWAT 4 has is 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. When I run it in the 1600x1200 some of the text disappears off the menu tabs and HUD. I've tried to force a resolution and that didn't work. I tried running it on my other monitor which is 1280x1024 and it seems to work a bit better.

Last edited:
Game works for me if I disable visual themes in the compatability options and escape skip the initial video sequences.

Sorry for necroposting, but this issue is common and I see no solution was posted. So, if you can't start game and it freezes at spalsh\launch, it's the Bink Video issue and it just fails to playback video for splash screen intro.
Just keep pressing ESC when the game launches, this will cancel splash intro video before it gets to error and freezes and you'll get to the menu just fine!

Back