• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 way SLI help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rnldrc22

Hi guys

I need help, i dont know why im not being able to run SLI on my old gtx 260 and the new one i got from evga. Dont know if i am using the right connection or not... :confused:

My old gtx 260 has just one connection to SLI while the new one has 2 connections, does it make difference?

Do i need to enable SLI?

SLi bridge on the cards, and an SLi capable motherboard are needed.

Then you go into the Nvidia control panel and enable SLi, make sure you have the latest drivers.

Depending on how old your "old GTX260" is, you might be trying to run a 192SP card with a 216SP card. I dunno if that will work.

Depending on how old your "old GTX260" is, you might be trying to run a 192SP card with a 216SP card. I dunno if that will work.

Indeed i am. My old one is 192 and this new one is 216.

Do you think a 2x gtx 260 is better than a gtx 465? (if i couldnt make my sli work)

SLi bridge on the cards, and an SLi capable motherboard are needed.

Then you go into the Nvidia control panel and enable SLi, make sure you have the latest drivers.

I got Asus Rampage II extreme, it says it is SLI capable.. But on my nvidia panel i cant find "enable SLI"

It looks like it's the 192SP and 216SP are not able to be SLI'd. You have the latest drivers?

Even if you could get them to SLI with both cards using 192SP, that would be faster than a GTX465. Also, don't buy a GTX465, the GTX460 1GB beats it in every spec.

Sure you can SLI a 260-192 with a 260-216. Something else must be wrong. Are you running the 216 card in the top PCIe slot? I've heard that can make a difference.

Well see Matt there seems to be a problem with the Realtek NIC drivers and SLi, for some reason if you update to the latest NIC drivers then the SLi option goes away.

If you rollback the NIC drivers then the SLi option comes back.

Do you have Windows 7?

Yes, i'm running Win7 64-bit professional.

It looks like it's the 192SP and 216SP are not able to be SLI'd. You have the latest drivers?

Even if you could get them to SLI with both cards using 192SP, that would be faster than a GTX465. Also, don't buy a GTX465, the GTX460 1GB beats it in every spec.

Oh, i see, thanks! I'll see the GTX 460 if i'm not able to configure SLI. I was looking over the HD 5850/5830, would it be better than the GTX 460? I saw Radeons have a low temperature and wattage.

Sure you can SLI a 260-192 with a 260-216. Something else must be wrong. Are you running the 216 card in the top PCIe slot? I've heard that can make a difference.

Actually i got the 192 at the top.. if i cant figure out whats wrong then ill just swap them, but im sure the driver must be wrong.. I'll look through Nvidia's website.

Try going to Device Manager, then Network Adapters, and if you could screen cap that or just reply back what it says under that.

Try going to Device Manager, then Network Adapters, and if you could screen cap that or just reply back what it says under that.

Network Adapters? Wouldnt it be Display adapters? lol

Well, here it is the Device manager

Attachments

• device manager.jpg
    device manager.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 176
Well see Matt there seems to be a problem with the Realtek NIC drivers and SLi, for some reason if you update to the latest NIC drivers then the SLi option goes away.

If you rollback the NIC drivers then the SLi option comes back.

Hmm, haven't heard of that. Maybe it will work for him.

Oh, i see, thanks! I'll see the GTX 460 if i'm not able to configure SLI. I was looking over the HD 5850/5830, would it be better than the GTX 460? I saw Radeons have a low temperature and wattage.

The HD5850 is better than the GTX460, but if you go for anything less than the HD5850, get the GTX460.

Network Adapters? Wouldnt it be Display adapters? lol

Well, here it is the Device manager

Haha no, I had a problem with my Network adapter stopping SLi from showing up on the Nvidia control panel, rolling em back fixed it for me.

But you don't have a Realtek NIC.

Haha no, I had a problem with my Network adapter stopping SLi from showing up on the Nvidia control panel, rolling em back fixed it for me.

But you don't have a Realtek NIC.

hahahha ok, that was weird xD Should i try to roll back my nvidia driver? i have the latest drivers by the way... >_> (and no sli)

You could try older drivers other than the 258.96, you do have the SLi bridge on right?

Stupid question but the solution might be right in your face.

You could try older drivers other than the 258.96, you do have the SLi bridge on right?

Stupid question but the solution might be right in your face.

Yes, i got it on. Its the one i got from my motherboard. Btw, how do i get the older drive? xD

Drivers

Just choose the correct options for your system.

What I'd suggest at this point is downloading an older set of drivers. Going into Device Manager then uninstalling the display adapters and making sure you check off "Delete Drivers".

After that the screen will go black then it'll come back but it'll be 10x the size of what it used to be.

Download Driver Sweeper and run it after you delete the display adapters, check off all the Nvidia options on there.

After that you'll probably have to reboot and when you start Windows back up run the drivers you downloaded and see if that fixes anything.

Back