• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dheaven

Hi all,

I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do with my computer setup. Here's the deal:

I built a custom PC about 2 months ago with a RAID 1 configuration of two 1.5 TB hard drives. The power went out and one of them crashed and apparently failed. So now I'm hanging on to this one hard drive with my OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) and all my files stored on it, and I'm afraid it'll crash too. I'm doing manual file backups to my external HD, but I don't feel safe without better redundancy. One of my external HDs crashed a few months ago so this doesn't exactly make me feel safe.

Here is what I'd like to do without having to reinstall my operating system (if possible):

-Create automated redundancy (backups) to an outside source, so that if this computer crashes, I'll be able to use the backups and fully restore my system to where it is currently.
-Reconfigure or change my current setup so I feel more comfortable about not losing everything if this HD fails. Currently I'm still in the RAID 1 configuration, just with only one hard drive. The Intel Matrix Storage Console is showing that a hard drive may fail, and I hate that.

I just want to feel like I'm covered if this HD fails! Its a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS, which fail all the time according to NewEgg reviews.

All help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Dave

Raid 1 network box for your backups?

That's what we have and also doubles as network print server (old usb printer) and ftp.

storage is not in the tower, but at least local for access (vs. online)?

Back