• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does it matter which PCIE x16 slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bular

Hi all,

Recently upgraded to a PCIE board (can you believe I was on AGP for that long).

Since I've been out of the loop, I have no idea if what I want to do is plausible.

I have a board with 3 PCIE express x16 slots (Asus P6T Deluxe V2). Now I have a 5770 but the damn thing is so big it blocks out the pci slots which I want to use. Can I stick the video card into any of the other 2 slots below the PCI slots? I don't want to compromise performance at all, otherwise I'll look into replacing those pci cards with another solution.

Doesnt matter if both of them are x16... So no, It doesnt matter on your motherboard.

odd, they should take exactly 2 slots, with about 5mm left for the fan to take in air (wich can be a bit too small if you have a hot card and it can't draw air because of another card) but that isnt the issue here, you can put the card wherever you like on your board, no problem :)

The board came with 3 PCIE x16 slots. The heatsink sits right up next to the 3rd slot, so close that it almost touches. I mounted it in the bottom pcie slot and everything is gravy! Thanks all.

Back