• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade, what should I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

I'm posting this in the MOBO section because these all relate to the mobo :p. Mods move if there is a more appropriate section for this.

Lets say I have 200 bones laying around. I cant decide if i should.

Spend 199.99 on the x6 phenom

Spend 159.99 on a 2nd 5770 and xfire the mofos..and save the rest
or
Spend 100.00 on an additional 4 gigs of ram bringing me up to 8gigs. save the rest

My current rig everything else I am fine w/ Case and PSU are new, sound card does its job, Mobo is new, etc. etc. My cpu can be opened to x4 and i can stable it @ 3.5.

All i do is game game and more game....and type papers.

What woujld be the best upgrade right now?

my sig is gone wtf...ill fix that in a bit

The second video card if your a gamer, assuming that your current CPU is at least a decent quad core. The $199 six core isn't going to help you game. 8gb of RAM is almost useless (ask me how I know). My 2 cents.

x3 720 phenon II black edition is my CPU....and...wtf... did i lose my ability to post a sig or something?? i cant find it under usercp anymore..

Tri-core....hmmm, had to complicate things didn't you. Well, ummmm, after further consideration I'm sticking to my first answer. For a gamer, another card I think would benefit you the most. Plus your CPU is a BE so hopefully you have it overclocked a smidge.

Looks like hands down, CF is the best upgrade to take. What about Asymmetric crossfiring with say a 5750+5770, has anyone had any experience with it?

I say the same get the 5770. Also when and if you get it i have some questions for you about the performance of that card.

Back