Inactive Moderator
    10 Year Badge

Windows 7 Build 7600: This copy of Windows is not genuine

Why am I getting this message? I bought a genuine Windows 7 Pro full directly from Microsoft when I was taking some grad classes...

I've done a bunch of Acronis image restores... but my latest was at least 1 month ago, and I just noticed the problem tonight... my desktop background is black too... this DEFINITELY just happened, and no I didn't install any windows updates either.

All I did was reboot my computer into SeaTools to test a hard drive, then after the test finished (took about 4-5 hours), I went back into Win 7 and now I have the "not genuine" message on the bottom right of the desktop...

=/
    ASUS Crosshair V *Water* | FX-8320 Enzotech Sapphire CPU block | 8GB Mushkin 2133 | 6970 2GB | 256GB SSD | SB X-Fi Elite Pro | Corsair 520W Modular | 3x 26" Asus VW266H Eyefinity 5760x1200 | DDC pump with petra top @ 18w, Thermochill HE 120.3 w/ 3x120x38mm Deltas 152cfm on controller |
    Xbox 360 Gamertag: g0dMAn114
    Top 5 Heatware
    **IHS Removal Tutorial**HotFlashing Tutorial**DFI NF4 UTT Problems**Funny-ChuckNorrisFacts**Custom RAM Cooler**
    nightelph: I wanted to play so bad last night but I was OC'ing my video card.

go here and validate it. http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ProgramInfo.aspx

Its possibly a bug with seatools

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Mine told me it wasn't genuine just last night when I used Acronis to clone an install (had to change drives). On boot it will ask if you want to 'get genuine' or something like that. I told it yes and it activated online. No hassle or anything. Is it not giving you that option on boot?

If not, from the page Headshok linked, here is the page to activate. Click on "Validate Windows" in the box on the left.

If that doesn't work, I'd uninstall seatools and give it a whirl.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Inactive Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshok View Post
    go here and validate it. http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ProgramInfo.aspx

Its possibly a bug with seatools
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
    Mine told me it wasn't genuine just last night when I used Acronis to clone an install (had to change drives). On boot it will ask if you want to 'get genuine' or something like that. I told it yes and it activated online. No hassle or anything. Is it not giving you that option on boot?

If not, from the page Headshok linked, here is the page to activate. Click on "Validate Windows" in the box on the left.

If that doesn't work, I'd uninstall seatools and give it a whirl.
    Well I had originally tried the windows version of SeaTools which wasn't able to actually run any tests, so I then tried the BOOTABLE VERSION, but not on my OS drive (as it's an SSD)... it was a spare drive I had that I popped into my 3.5 SATA dock...

Thanks for the link... I was looking through my favorites to see if I had saved it as I've had to do this before IIRC...
    It now says I'm validated, but the background is still showing "not genuine" so I'll reboot and see what happens...
    Thanks!!
    ASUS Crosshair V *Water* | FX-8320 Enzotech Sapphire CPU block | 8GB Mushkin 2133 | 6970 2GB | 256GB SSD | SB X-Fi Elite Pro | Corsair 520W Modular | 3x 26" Asus VW266H Eyefinity 5760x1200 | DDC pump with petra top @ 18w, Thermochill HE 120.3 w/ 3x120x38mm Deltas 152cfm on controller |
    Xbox 360 Gamertag: g0dMAn114
    Top 5 Heatware
    **IHS Removal Tutorial**HotFlashing Tutorial**DFI NF4 UTT Problems**Funny-ChuckNorrisFacts**Custom RAM Cooler**
    nightelph: I wanted to play so bad last night but I was OC'ing my video card.

Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    I think Acronis might generate a new SID or something like that every time you clone a drive, that might trigger this.

I would just re-activate it. Sometimes you might have to do it over the phone.

EDIT: SID, not SSID
    Last edited by madhatter256; 08-24-10 at 03:27 PM.

10 Year Badge
    Huh? Why don't it make an exact copy of everything? If it don't, I could see Windows getting P-ed.

And be careful with reactivating. You can get punished for reactivating more than 5 times or about that! You can be pretty much told to F-off by the Microsoft server and be told to get another product key!
    (At least that was true with XP)
    Asus Maximus II Gene- Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR @ 3.3 Ghz (367x9.0)

Where I come from "Z97" is a radio station
    -ICH10R
    - eVGA GeForce GT 640-Antec VP-450

" holy cow!! you find a rat in there too!?!?!? " -turbohans
    "Reinstall winders." -jivetrky
    "I think I am going to need another coke before I start this up." -cadman420
    "Soon Windows will be 50 gb! lololol" -Tokae
    "NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA."

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    It is usually an option in cloning tools to generate new SID, this is so you can install on one PC and clone it to a hundred PCs across a company.
    All rants I produce are sole property of 127.0.0.1.
    10 types of people understand binary.
    Suck iiiiiitttttttttt. -Shawn Spencer