• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Build 7600: This copy of Windows is not genuine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Why am I getting this message? I bought a genuine Windows 7 Pro full directly from Microsoft when I was taking some grad classes...

I've done a bunch of Acronis image restores... but my latest was at least 1 month ago, and I just noticed the problem tonight... my desktop background is black too... this DEFINITELY just happened, and no I didn't install any windows updates either.

All I did was reboot my computer into SeaTools to test a hard drive, then after the test finished (took about 4-5 hours), I went back into Win 7 and now I have the "not genuine" message on the bottom right of the desktop...

=/

Mine told me it wasn't genuine just last night when I used Acronis to clone an install (had to change drives). On boot it will ask if you want to 'get genuine' or something like that. I told it yes and it activated online. No hassle or anything. Is it not giving you that option on boot?

If not, from the page Headshok linked, here is the page to activate. Click on "Validate Windows" in the box on the left.

If that doesn't work, I'd uninstall seatools and give it a whirl.

go here and validate it. http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ProgramInfo.aspx

Its possibly a bug with seatools

Mine told me it wasn't genuine just last night when I used Acronis to clone an install (had to change drives). On boot it will ask if you want to 'get genuine' or something like that. I told it yes and it activated online. No hassle or anything. Is it not giving you that option on boot?

If not, from the page Headshok linked, here is the page to activate. Click on "Validate Windows" in the box on the left.

If that doesn't work, I'd uninstall seatools and give it a whirl.

Well I had originally tried the windows version of SeaTools which wasn't able to actually run any tests, so I then tried the BOOTABLE VERSION, but not on my OS drive (as it's an SSD)... it was a spare drive I had that I popped into my 3.5 SATA dock...

Thanks for the link... I was looking through my favorites to see if I had saved it as I've had to do this before IIRC...
It now says I'm validated, but the background is still showing "not genuine" so I'll reboot and see what happens...
Thanks!!

I think Acronis might generate a new SID or something like that every time you clone a drive, that might trigger this.

I would just re-activate it. Sometimes you might have to do it over the phone.

EDIT: SID, not SSID

Last edited:
Huh? Why don't it make an exact copy of everything? If it don't, I could see Windows getting P-ed.

And be careful with reactivating. You can get punished for reactivating more than 5 times or about that! You can be pretty much told to F-off by the Microsoft server and be told to get another product key!
(At least that was true with XP)

It is usually an option in cloning tools to generate new SID, this is so you can install on one PC and clone it to a hundred PCs across a company.

Back