10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile

Bored with my AMD PII 940, wanting to try an cheap i3

I find myself just not using my quad. I am general user and gamer. I hardly ever do any encoding, or use any software that can really take advantage of Quad Cores. I am mainly playing Starcraft 2 atm which really favors Dual Cores and clock speed. I was looking at getting a i3 530 and a MSI-P55 GD80 open box board from newegg. I am thinking a i3 530@4.3-4.5GHZ(most seem to hit these speeds) would be better then my PII 940 @ 3.45GHZ?
    Workstation and Mobile Workstation

Dell XPS 1330:
    Core 2 T7500, 3GB Ram, 320GB HD, 13.3 LED, 8400GS, 20inch Dell 2007WFP When at Home.

This isn't really an answer to you question, more of a response. I got tired of my PhII 940 as well. I can't say I used it to the max, but I noticed quite the limitations with overclocking (especially for an unlocked cpu). My highest stable was 3.7Ghz in the winter. So, I moved on to an i7 930 and as of a few hours ago I have gotten it up to 4.19Ghz no problem and still have some room to work with.

I would say if you are bored.. do an i5 setup if you can sell your current rig to cover the price. I am planning on selling my old setup (minus my 5850) to a friend and it should cover most of this build. Otherwise if I had the money I would definitely be getting one of the new mini itx gigabyte motherboards and an i3 or i5 to build a nice little Lan box.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-448-_-Product

For me upgrading most certainly filled that void in my life of boredom. Best of luck with your decision!

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    It seems the i3 and i5's are not much different. Thus a cheap used i3 should fit the bill nicely.
    Workstation and Mobile Workstation

Dell XPS 1330:
    Core 2 T7500, 3GB Ram, 320GB HD, 13.3 LED, 8400GS, 20inch Dell 2007WFP When at Home.