• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem installing 2nd video card for dedicated physx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rickoles

Hey all, I recently attained a 8800GT for free so seeing as I have a free PCI E slot I decided to chuck it in for physx and mainly something else to work on / learn about.

My system specs are posted in my sig.

The problem i'm having is when I put the 8800GT into my 2nd slot (the one below my 5770 labeled PCI E x8) and try boot my compy it wont post at all, instead the output will be on the 8800GT. I tried switching the cards around and my PC would then post on the 5770 and not the 8800GT. So it's only allowing output on the 2nd PCI E socket (the one running x8 not x16).

Is this normal? Is there something obvious i'm missing?

Windows now also says I only have 3580mb of ram... While in the bios it said the full 4098. AWESOME! :p

I'm just stumped as to why the first PCIE socket doesn't post.

I have no idea why it is doing that.

Nvidia drivers disable physX if they detect an ATI card in the system anyway though.

Ram wise, are you running a 64bit OS or 32?

I have no idea why it is doing that.

Nvidia drivers disable physX if they detect an ATI card in the system anyway though.

Ram wise, are you running a 64bit OS or 32?
I was planning to use the phsyx mod. Had already downloaded it to my desktop ready to go.

I am running 64bit win7. The ram issue is strange. Its kind of like I took the 8800GT out and windows thought that 512mb was its ram and now doesn't read some? Idk lol.

In all my cleverness I thought I would reset my own cmos, mainly because I've never done it and it doesn't hurt anything right? NO! I failed to realised it would wipe my raid drivers now my PC wont boot rofl. Ah well, I'll just have to install win 7 on another HDD and run the drivers that way.

Stupid computer, stupid me.

Ok, I have figured out why my PCIE 2 slot would dominate. I had a bios setting called 'Dominant PCI Slot' (something meaning that anyway) and it has settings PCI, PEG and PEG2. It was set to PEG2 which I assume was the 2nd PCIE slot. I set it to PEG and win!

After I booted to windows with the 8800GT in again I now only have 3320mb of ram. It's slowly dwindling away! I'm going to run the windows repair tool off the cd and see if I can't fix it.

Anyone have any other ideas?

ramhg.jpg

I have no onboard video at all. This only occured after the 8800GT evil card was installed. Must've put a curse on my system

Try booting with stock clocks to check that the overclock isn't the problem, I had a similar problem due to a slightly unstable overclock and RAM disappeared.

Try booting with stock clocks to check that the overclock isn't the problem, I had a similar problem due to a slightly unstable overclock and RAM disappeared.

I figured out the problem was due to hardware reserved ram. It must've had something to do w/ the 8800GT but I can't figure out what. Its all good now, theres only 10MB still H/W reserved after I switched a bios setting and unchecked the mem box in msconfig > boot

Back