• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Giga 890GX Heatsinks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bakercake

I notice that my heatsinks were getting hot on idle. Is it ok to remove them and reapply paste on them? Going to be using the paste(TX-2 Tuniq) you see on the picture.

cimg5826.jpg

If the heatsinks are hot, the thermal paste is working fine as the heat is moving from the chips to the heatsinks. They need more airflow.

The heatsinks are designed to take airflow from a top-down cooler, such as the stock one. Since your cooler is the "tower" style, you are getting little to no airflow over the motherboard. A well placed fan should take care of this.

If the heatsinks are hot, the thermal paste is working fine as the heat is moving from the chips to the heatsinks. They need more airflow.

The heatsinks are designed to take airflow from a top-down cooler, such as the stock one. Since your cooler is the "tower" style, you are getting little to no airflow over the motherboard. A well placed fan should take care of this.

Excellent advice here, get some high airflow fans and position them right and you should have a great cooling setup.

Personally, I'd opt for a higher CFM exhaust fan. It's possible your heatsink fan is as fast or faster then your exhaust fan, leading to increased heat and lack of airflow under that stream of air between the two fans. A higher flowing exhaust fan should pull air not only from the heatsink but also from the area around it, including the MOSFET/NB cooler ...

Personally, I'd opt for a higher CFM exhaust fan. It's possible your heatsink fan is as fast or faster then your exhaust fan, leading to increased heat and lack of airflow under that stream of air between the two fans. A higher flowing exhaust fan should pull air not only from the heatsink but also from the area around it, including the MOSFET/NB cooler ...

You just gave me the answer to all my problems. I done countless remounts for my HSF and I stil idle at 38-40c on 1.250v on the cpu.... I still have my eye on the yate loon fans. So it's better to have more exhaust then intake? Cuz so far I have 2 intakes, 2 exhaust, and 1 slot open on the top for a 140mm or 120mm.

I like more exhaust than intake to create a negative pressure in the case. That way you can predict the airflow more easily.

You just gave me the answer to all my problems. I done countless remounts for my HSF and I stil idle at 38-40c on 1.250v on the cpu.... I still have my eye on the yate loon fans. So it's better to have more exhaust then intake? Cuz so far I have 2 intakes, 2 exhaust, and 1 slot open on the top for a 140mm or 120mm.
Actually I favor more intake fans than exhaust but I've seen countless times when someone will get a really nice CPU heatsink moving 85 or more CFM then point that fan at an exhaust fan moving 50 CFM. :shrug:

There is a good way to test if case airflow is the problem. Take the side of your case off and use a room fan to blow room air into the case. If temps go down you've got a problem ...

With an open style case (lots of vents) I like HS exhaust fans with slower Direct cooling fans placed strategically. (by hdds, and another adding cool air to chipset/ram area)

It is a negative case pressure design, and works best for me. Positive case pressure will work also but you need an intake fan near the top of the case (IE in the optical drives).

Back