• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I save my laptop hdd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjai

Registered
Hi, I've come to this forum before with a problem or two and never have you let me down! :D

But this one is maybe a little interesting:b

I have a laptop hard drive which is heavely infected by god knows what, connected to my school computer via a usb adaptor.

My laptop had account password on it before it died and becuase of that I can't access "my documents"! (noob mistake I've been told..)

I found this page http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421 that guides me around that problem, but not being my computer, I don't have administration rights..

Is it possible to access "my documents" that is protected by account password on an external drive without being admin?

And, is there a way to safely transfere music, movies and pictures from the infected drive, without any viruses coming along (can viruses spread from a usb drive without me touching them)?

Thanks in advance. Jan.

You have to get on a PC where you are ADMIN so you can take ownership of the files but scan your drive with antivirus first

okay, I have to borrow a computer then.
Any way I can insure the owner that my hard drive wont infect his computer?

Nope not really considering you have no idea what it's infected with. The chances are small however

Back