• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Cable Sleeving

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
On the subject of PSU Sleeving...
I had been looking at the Corsair CMPSU-850HX for my build and was already dreading the whole sleeving of the main wires (the ones that are not modular in it) because even though the thing comes pre-sleeved, it is with that see through material that still shows the wiring inside.
I found that Corsair makes a 100% modular PSU the AX850. This one has even the 24 Pin connector in modular form so you don't have to take the PSU apart for sleeving.
As far as I can tell the only differences between the two are the size of the fan and the fact that the HX has a few more connectors.
I have only found one other PSU that does 100% modular connectors: SeaSonic X750

In my limited knowledge I'd say the corsair is a better choice, but would like some opinions on this as I'm thinking on getting the AX850 over the HX850 from Corsair for my build.

Cheers
Sebas

On the subject of PSU Sleeving...
I had been looking at the Corsair CMPSU-850HX for my build and was already dreading the whole sleeving of the main wires (the ones that are not modular in it) because even though the thing comes pre-sleeved, it is with that see through material that still shows the wiring inside.
I found that Corsair makes a 100% modular PSU the AX850. This one has even the 24 Pin connector in modular form so you don't have to take the PSU apart for sleeving.
As far as I can tell the only differences between the two are the size of the fan and the fact that the HX has a few more connectors.
I have only found one other PSU that does 100% modular connectors: SeaSonic X750

In my limited knowledge I'd say the corsair is a better choice, but would like some opinions on this as I'm thinking on getting the AX850 over the HX850 from Corsair for my build.

Cheers
Sebas
This question doesn't have anything to do with the thread. Regardless, I'd suggest the Corsair since I have personal experience with their power supplies (owned 8 to date) and customer service. Both are high quality.

If you have any questions that don't pertain to a topic, please use the search feature first (to make sure someone didn't ask it already) and, failing that, create a thread with your new question. We don't want to derail any threads.

Sorry about that thideras...

I guess I could have worded differently. My question regarding the AX850 was posted because I plan on re-sleeving the whole thing with MDCP-X sleeving and having the 100% modular PSU would make things 10 times easier. I just don't feel I have enough skill to open the PSU and de-solder connectors inside so I can get the look I'm after.

So maybe I should have stated my question/comment differently, but at the end it still is about sleeving a PSU and how easy/difficult one would be over the other.

It comes down to the look you want. Honestly, you won't really be able to tell the difference if you sleeve up the the power supply instead of into it. Unless you are doing super-high end custom cases and you want just the right look; I wouldn't worry about it.

But, it all comes down to taste anyway. So that is just my opinion and for you to decide your path.

Sorry about that thideras...

I guess I could have worded differently. My question regarding the AX850 was posted because I plan on re-sleeving the whole thing with MDCP-X sleeving and having the 100% modular PSU would make things 10 times easier. I just don't feel I have enough skill to open the PSU and de-solder connectors inside so I can get the look I'm after.

So maybe I should have stated my question/comment differently, but at the end it still is about sleeving a PSU and how easy/difficult one would be over the other.

I wouldn't open up the psu to sleeve it. You can do a really nice job without having to do so.

P1080527.jpg
P1080528.jpg

Cheers
Sebas

The Corsair AX and SeaSonic X PSUs are 80+ Gold certified. That's the main difference from the HX PSUs.

The Corsair AX and SeaSonic X PSUs are 80+ Gold certified. That's the main difference from the HX PSUs.

The Corsair AX series are also fully modular. The HX series have some of the cables hard-wired inside (atx, atx12v, and a few pci-e).

I wouldn't open up the psu to sleeve it. You can do a really nice job without having to do so.

Yep.. I know a nice job can be done with normal PSUs without opening then and voiding the warranty, but alas, I'm what could be considered OCD and having seen a few threads where the PSUs were sleeved all the way back to the solder points inside I wouldn't be able to have it any other way... That was until I found the AX series from Corsair. Now I can sleeve the wires to my heart's content and not have to worry about going into the PSU itself.
That's the only reason I went with the AX over the HX... I don't really need 6 PCIe connectors from the PSU as I'm sure that by the time my 2GB 5870 starts to be not powerfull enough there will be newer cards out there (6000 series or better) and by then I'll just upgrade to a new card rather than doubling down on two lower end cards.

Looks really good there Kayson, don't see any heatshrink where the 24-pin starts though, how'd you pull that off?

Looks really good there Kayson, don't see any heatshrink where the 24-pin starts though, how'd you pull that off?

I actually didn't have any heatshrink that fits around the 24-pin. On the connector side I took two pieces cut them and super-glued them together. On the other side I made it extra long and stuck it inside the opening. I'm going to inject some hot glue in there to make it all hold still.

Sorry for reviving this, but for those of you who sleeve, how do you get your sleeving to be perfect in length?

Sorry for reviving this, but for those of you who sleeve, how do you get your sleeving to be perfect in length?
As I stated in my previous post:

What I do is put the sleeving all the way up to where I want it. I "mark" it by using scissors to cut a few strands where I want it to end. I then pull enough off to cut the sleeving without the wires getting in the way. This provides a convenient way to get heatshrink on, so that is the time to put it on. Slide everything on and done.

This is how I do it, also posted previously:

MattNo5ss said:
I always sleeve the wire before I cut the sleeve. Sleeve the wire until there's about ~1.25" of wire left to cover, then cut the sleeve just past the connector, finish sliding the sleev onto the wire and you'll have about 0.5" of bare wire on each end for the heatshrink.

Back