• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Me Spend Money

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grnfinger

I currently have a 4870X2 running solid at 845/1080 and I'm about to pack it up and ship it off to the new owner in the morning.
I was intending to buy Jeremy's sweet 5870 at a even sweeter price but being a uneducated person on GPU's I dragged my heels and missed out on a really good buy.
So I ask what should I buy to replace my 4870X2?? I really want a 5970 and can get one barley used and a water block for 750 shipped, a tad more than I wanted to spend and I'll need a new PSU to power it.

So with that in mind I was toying with this idea, single 5870 now and another 5870 to crossfire down the road or should I jump ship and see what the 480 fuss is about? I try to buy the best I can when I upgrade so I'm set for a few years, I do not game alot and my max res is 1360x768 on this pos RCA LCD
I'm just looking for more GPU power than what I had and according to the chart at Tom's Hardware :chair: 5970,5870 or a 295GTX are my only options

I personally would rather have 2 vid cards than an x2 card. you cant get points for single class with an x2 anymore. 2 cards will give you a ton more flexibility.

my experience is that I have a 5870 that will do 1030/1300 on any bench there is. I swapped (for a day) for a friends gtx470 not 480 and get better scores on every 3d bench other than 01. I hate nvidia, but feel their cards are worth more boints right now. they use more power and make more heat, but if you want globals the 480 is prolly worth more.

thanks for your input, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.
Maybe I should beg and borrow GPU's till ati launches the 6870 if the benches are real than Nvidia can kiss my arse

Back