• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New hard drive, have windows 7 key but no disk!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PKgk1

Registered
I intend to put windows 7 on my new build, I have a product key for it (given to me by a friend from his campus) but do not have an installation disk. I'm working with a freshly formatted drive with no OS on it. It would be a complete waste to go out and just buy a copy of windows 7 for the installation dvd, surely theres a way to obtain it!

Possible solutions, IDK if they would work, can anyone confirm these?
1. Put ubuntu on the new system, then use the internet to find a windows 7 updater file, then use that to install w7 and enter my product key.
2. If there is a way to legally burn a W7 iso on a DVD, and install windows 7 off of that.

any fix to this issue would be great!

Well if the CD-Key is legit im sure you can download the windows 7.ISO file off the windows site

Could you link that to me?

I originally obtained the product key from a friend as well as an updater file he had me download from microsofts website. He gave me multiple product keys (his school gives them out) and said I could use them on future computers. The file he had me download was an .exe updater from microsofts website, not an ISO. As far as I know the only way to obtain the ISO is by illegal methods or buying a new copy.

If there is an iso that can be burned to a disk thats legal and legitimate; could you link it to me?

If the keys are from some sort of MSDNAA agreement then you will likely need to contact the administrator of the account at the school so that they can add you to the account. Once added to the account you will have access to the download pages after you agree to the limitations of the MSDNAA licenses.

If the school is distributing OEM copies you will again need to contact them for support to get install media.

If the school is distributing Enterprise of Volume license copies...

Really you just need to get in contact with an administrator at the school to get you set up in almost any case.

Problem is, that isn't his key, it is his friend's key. Don't think you are supposed to give those out anyway.

Nope. They aren't supposed to, but many people do it anyway. Regardless of that, he'll need special copy of Win7 for that key work and he can only get that from his friend....

Nope. They aren't supposed to, but many people do it anyway. Regardless of that, he'll need special copy of Win7 for that key work and he can only get that from his friend....

I have not tried with windows 7 yet, but at least with the windows vista and windows xp releases from MSDNAA (which is where I would guess the key is from) you could use other disks, although I don't remember if it was retail disks or OEM disks.

if it's from MSDNAA the key should for Windows 7 Pro. Just find someone who has windows 7 pro and borrow there disk or contact your friend and have him download the image for you.

FYI though I believe giving away MSNAA keys is against the license agreements so technically it might be considered a pirated copy because you are not on MSDNAA

It is a special deal that Microsoft had and it requires a special version, IIRC. Same with the Vista version when I worked for the university. The student had to use one of 10 copies the school had to upgrade then return the disk.

I have not tried with windows 7 yet, but at least with the windows vista and windows xp releases from MSDNAA (which is where I would guess the key is from) you could use other disks, although I don't remember if it was retail disks or OEM disks.

if it's from MSDNAA the key should for Windows 7 Pro. Just find someone who has windows 7 pro and borrow there disk or contact your friend and have him download the image for you.

FYI though I believe giving away MSNAA keys is against the license agreements so technically it might be considered a pirated copy because you are not on MSDNAA

For Win7 the MSDN type flavors are the same as the Retail versions with regards to install media. It may or may not be Win7 Pro though. My MSDNAA subscription has Win7 Pro. My MSDN subscription has Home, Pro, and Enterprise I believe.

You are right though, unless he gets the disk or account needed to download an iso from a school official he's going to be breaking the licensing terms. The MSDN, MSDNAA, Tech Net, etc. versions of the licensing also have more restrictions above and beyond the Retail and OEM versions of the license.

For Win7 the MSDN type flavors are the same as the Retail versions with regards to install media. It may or may not be Win7 Pro though. My MSDNAA subscription has Win7 Pro. My MSDN subscription has Home, Pro, and Enterprise I believe.

You are right though, unless he gets the disk or account needed to download an iso from a school official he's going to be breaking the licensing terms. The MSDN, MSDNAA, Tech Net, etc. versions of the licensing also have more restrictions above and beyond the Retail and OEM versions of the license.

I would actually be less concerned about the disk in regards to piracy so much as the key itself. Microsoft doesn't really seem to mind if you copy the physical disk. I believe all the MS OSs have no copy protection to prevent you from doing so, this is also how many people on this forum have created new install images that contain the new service packs and stuff. It is the key itself that Microsoft licenses. I know at least for windows vista Microsoft even has a place where you can enter in your product key and get new disks.

The above is not legal advice and should not be taken as such. I do not have knowledge of law, this is just what I believe to be the case considering Microsoft's practices regarding software copies.

After talking to my friend and doing some research, the key and installer I was given are for windows 7 ultimate. I have a seperate friend who has W7 home premium, who'd be happy to lend me his disk. Can I simply put in the disk and enter the code? I've confirmed with him that the code wasn't pirated and wasa legitimate out-of the box code, the friend who gave me the key said it's a multi-license key that can be installed on multiple computers, hence why he gave it to me.

Basically my question is; can I put in a windows 7 ultimate key, while using a windows 7 home premium installation disk? :D

The key must match the install media (i.e. you need a Win7 Ultimate disk).

You should ask your friend for the install media or for him to get/borrow it from his school. If they are giving out lots of keys they should have lots of install media. Thats how it is where I work at least, we just have piles of media laying around.

Also if you can find a person in IT who routinely does installs Microsoft has a version of the installer disk out there that has all versions present on it so that you can just pick the one your key is for. But failing that just find someone with an ultimate disk.

If it's a key from MSDNAA you can use a retail copy of W7 (x86 or x64 depending on which you have) and then just punch in your key.

Both of my W7 Pro keys are from MSDNAA via our IT class, and after a recent HDD replacement I lost the ISOs provided by MS so instead I used my roommate's retail W7 Pro disc to do the install then just entered my own key. Worked like a charm, so any retail disc that matches your key will work just fine.

yes, go ahead and use the home premium disk. Windows 7 install disks are all the same, the key itself activates the various parts that differentiate between premium / pro / ultimate ect. This is how the 'anytime upgrade' option works, you simply pay for an upgraded key.

yes, go ahead and use the home premium disk. Windows 7 install disks are all the same, the key itself activates the various parts that differentiate between premium / pro / ultimate ect. This is how the 'anytime upgrade' option works, you simply pay for an upgraded key.
Thanks! Guess everything will work out after all!

Back