• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Crosshair IV Formula - New BIOS 1005

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VoX1090T

Registered
It's up and available as an official download.

Only notes are "Improve System Stability"

I'm super glad the change log isn't vague :clap:

Haven't tried it yet, but people over yonder seem to think it's ok..
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252772

Update: After flashing this, I had a nice visit with my Windows 7 installation disk for a complete format and reinstall.

Blue screen upon reboot - set BIOS defaults - tried again - blue screen.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm ok now though! I survived! lol

Not sure what happened. Never had a BIOS screw with me like that. Very strange.

Sounds like Windows gave BSOD, because of AHCI being forced on with the BIOS flash when AHCI wasn't enabled previously.

If Windows was originally installed without AHCI and then the BIOS forced AHCI on, Windows will give a stop error, according to Microsoft, IIRC.

According to Microsoft, IIRC, that's because the AHCI driver is disabled.

^^ that is true, but he mentioned resetting the bios and setting defaults and I've personally never seen a bios default to ACHI. It's like squares vs. rectangles. Everything works in IDE, but not everything in ACHI. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. :shrug:

Was wondering how you update the bios at a dos prompt for the Crosshair iv Formula? I tried running the bupdater /pc /g and it stalls out at the 'Loading' page. No harm done to the bios but Asus really sucks when it comes to letting out instructions on their support site...

Thanks.

Honestly, I've been using the ASUS Windows program to update the BIOS. Four years, and ten boards with numerous updates and zero problems. I do, however, download the BIOS file to the HDD and update from there. I don't like the idea of the system accessing the internet to get the BIOS data ... ;)

Ok here i go, first of all my configuration:

OCZ PC3-12800 Obsidian 4 GB OCZ3OB1600LV4GK

Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750-Watt HX Professional Series

Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula - AM3 - AMD 890FX - DDR3 - Republic of Gamers - ATX Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Thuban 3gHz 6 x 512 KB L2 Cache 6 MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Processor

XFX Radeon HD 6870 1 GB DDR5 Graphics Card

TOTALLY random BSOD with reasons like video, memory and HDD driver, the only real reason ive found its that sometimes the latency and voltage drops and the velocity stays at 1600 and sistem crashes, btw i already updated my bios to the last version 1304 but it still crashes.

At this moment i dont have problems with the memory, but i think problems may be because i have not installed a clean version of windows 7 since i havent troubles with the bios setup, tonight i will run memtest, sincerely im running out of posibilities so please give me a lil help :rain:

Hoping a good and soon answer,

Franco Contreras.

pD: Thanks

Overclock: NO
CPU Heatsink: Stock
Load CORE temp: I dont know, but where i am its like 17 C
Idle temp: 43 C
Bios settings

Ai Overclock Tuner Manual
CPU Ratio 15
CPU Bus Frecuency 200
PCIE Frecuency 100
DRAM Frecuency 1600mhz
CPU/NB Frecuency 2000mhz
HT Link SPEED 2000mhz

9-9-9-24

CPU & NB Voltage Mode Manual
CPU/NB Voltage 1.35
CPU VDDA Voltage 2.5
DRAM Voltage 1.6625
HT Voltage 1.3
NB Voltage 1.2625
NB 1.8V Voltagte 1.802
SB Voltage 1.113
VDDR Voltage 1.20575
VDDPPCIE 1.113
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage 0.005
DRAM DATA REF Voltage 0.005

CPU Spread Spectrum Disable
PCIE Spread Spectrum Disable

SATA PORT1 - PORT4 AHCI
SATA PORT5 - PORT6 IDE

Everything else is set to AUTO, but i want to let you know that all the voltages are OK except for the SB that showns a little bit below...

Again thx for your support (and sorry about ny terrible english)

Your CPU Voltage is 1.35 or your cpuNB Voltage is 1.35? There are two different voltages involved there - not counting the NB chipset. It can get pretty confusing if you're not looking for it.

Load core temp can be found by running OCCT OR Prime95+CoreTemp for ~5 minutes.

Your CPU Voltage is 1.35 or your cpuNB Voltage is 1.35? There are two different voltages involved there - not counting the NB chipset. It can get pretty confusing if you're not looking for it.

Load core temp can be found by running OCCT OR Prime95+CoreTemp for ~5 minutes.

The voltages are ok now, ive checked it lot of times, now im in my old pc because the new one now dont want to work at all, this is really frustrating, i bought it in US and i cannot ask for warranty, i begining to think maybe its the HDD because everytime i can get into windows it gives me different errors: win32k.sys, PSAPI,DLL.DLL, BSOD SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, ntfs.sys. fltmgr.sys IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and many others. But what is really weird is that i already checked the HDD though chkdsk and its ok, i checked ram though memtest... i did a clear instalation of windows 7, updated all drivers... Im out of options now, 1300$ lost =(

PLEASE HELP

If your CPU/NB voltage is really at 1.35v, that's waaayyy too high. 1.15v is stock, and I have mine at 1.20v and running 2712Mhz on it.

Have you tried running your RAM at 1333 instead of 1600Mhz? Some RAM just doesn't like running that high in AMD boards.. but I saw this issue more with 790FX/GX/X boards and the X4 more than any 800 series board with an X6. Just a thought though.

Is the 640GB Caviar Black your only HDD? To my understanding, AHCI really only should be enabled for an SSD. Try changing it to IDE or SATA or whatever the standard setting is and reinstall Windows. (Yes you need to reinstall when going switching IDE to AHCI and vice versa.)

If your CPU/NB voltage is really at 1.35v, that's waaayyy too high. 1.15v is stock, and I have mine at 1.20v and running 2712Mhz on it.

Have you tried running your RAM at 1333 instead of 1600Mhz? Some RAM just doesn't like running that high in AMD boards.. but I saw this issue more with 790FX/GX/X boards and the X4 more than any 800 series board with an X6. Just a thought though.

Is the 640GB Caviar Black your only HDD? To my understanding, AHCI really only should be enabled for an SSD. Try changing it to IDE or SATA or whatever the standard setting is and reinstall Windows. (Yes you need to reinstall when going switching IDE to AHCI and vice versa.)

How its possible that RAM just "DONT LIKE" to run at high speeds? I bough it because it was good, running at less speed is not an option, about the AHCI being only available for SSD, i didnt know that and i cant find anything that support that claim, nevertheless ill take your advice and ill set it to sata after a low level format to the WD 640GB and ill let you know what happens.

Oh, and Parad0x420, ill check the voltage this night and if its not good ill set it to 1.20.

Thanks again you have been really supportive =) :D

OCZ Value series RAM (Gold and Obsidian) isn't the best out there and anytime you're over DDR3-1333 you're overclocking.
(Even Intel CPU specs still said that last time I checked.) Down-clocking the RAM is the best way to find out if that's where the problem is.

Ok i did check extensively my HDD, the problem its not there, now im doing memtest86+ and ill leave it doing that for a while, its 2:22am here, im going to sleep and ill check it tomorrow, if it doesnt give me any error.... WTF should i do!?? I mean, if its not memory, and not HDD, then what would it be? Im not really pro in this but, there is any posibility that is the Motherboard? Because if its not ram and not hdd, the only things left is MB and Graphics Card (wich i doubt)... Please give me any suggestions, whatever...

If it doesnt give me any error i will do a low level format, then install a clean copy of windows... I hope it works, i really do, its my las option really and im getting really frustrated

Ok, i have not sleep yet, i was playing and im watching something weird, i dont know how memtest86+ v3.5 works, but here is a picture of what it shows, i dont know how to interpretate it:

This was like at 2:30 am
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9167/img00053201102050222.jpg

This is now, i will try to do it again and see what happens:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5139/img00054201102050451.jpg

Its 5:20 am but it has been like that like one hour, before it stoped doing anything only where says "Errors per Memory Slot" was moving, i mean increasing...

Again Thank you for helping me out with this =D

Back