• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Six Premium Heatsink Shootout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Excellent review. This is the kind of stuff I like seeing.

What ever happened to that thermosyphon stuff Ed or Joe was working on?

I know the design called for a minimum temperature to reach before it became effective, but with things like the i7 it looks like something that might could handle a couple hundred watts would be workable...

That's what I love about all these HSF, they're all neck in neck and you can buy one that fits your needs.

The only big difference I saw in testing was in the extreme performance graph where the D14 was up 2-4C vs the other heatsinks.

Excellent review. This is the kind of stuff I like seeing.

What ever happened to that thermosyphon stuff Ed or Joe was working on?

I know the design called for a minimum temperature to reach before it became effective, but with things like the i7 it looks like something that might could handle a couple hundred watts would be workable...

I don't remember where it is, but I remember JoeC posting somewhere that they ran into difficulties with the Thermosyphon designs or implementation and they abandoned it. And than you for complement on my review. :)

I don't remember where it is, but I remember JoeC posting somewhere that they ran into difficulties with the Thermosyphon designs or implementation and they abandoned it. And than you for complement on my review. :)

I'm take a wiled guess that the big guys beat him to the market basically. What could you hope for from a thermosyphon design that the H50 and similar products don't provide - I sure don't know? I mean look at the picture from 2005, it looks like basically exactly what we are seeing marketed with the small closed loops water coolers that are out now. I'm guessing they abandoned the project because performance and pricing couldn't compare to other viable options:
http://www.overclockers.com/thermosyphons-better-approach-to-cpu-cooling/

By the way, Joe still works with Andy Lemont mentioned in the article, so they may still have similar products in the works.

EDIT: I have JoeC's contact info if you want to talk to him about testing this and doing an article on it: :D

NOTE: While we have not tried it yet, there is no reason why coupling a thermosyphon rated at 300+ watts with a TEC could yield some very interesting results.

Last edited:
Sorry...took me a while to get around to this one....but it was a very good read....well done mate :thup:

Thank MIA, I appreciate that. And that is a fine article you have done on overclocking the Core i7/5/3 procs too. It really helped me understand how to overclock this new architecture easily. :thup:

Hmm, makes me seriously consider getting one of those TRUE Copper. Currently using a Corsair A70 and the dual fan has already deemed itself too big to fit properly with both fans installed (Only 1 fan with pull action on the exhaust side now) without getting in the way of the RAM slots. In terms of size, how much bigger/smaller is the TRUE Copper to the Corsair A70?

Last edited:
Hmm, makes me seriously consider getting one of those TRUE Copper. Currently using a Corsair A70 and the dual fan has already deemed itself too big to fit properly with both fans installed (Only 1 fan with pull action on the exhaust side now) without getting in the way of the RAM slots. In terms of size, how much bigger/smaller is the TRUE Copper to the Corsair A70?

I haven't seen or tested that heatsink yet; hopefully Corsair will get one to us for testing. So I can't say how it compares to the TRUE in size or performance. Just looking at the pictures, it looks to be much the same size as any of the TRUE models but maybe just a little bit thicker. I would think that if you are having problems with the fan interfering with the ram with the A70, you would have much the same problem with the Copper TRUE though. Have you tried offsetting the fan to mount it above the ram in the interfering ram slot? Look at the pic in the article where I offset the fan on the NH-D14 for clearance. If you can do that, you won't lose much performance at all.

I haven't seen or tested that heatsink yet; hopefully Corsair will get one to us for testing. So I can't say how it compares to the TRUE in size or performance. Just looking at the pictures, it looks to be much the same size as any of the TRUE models but maybe just a little bit thicker. I would think that if you are having problems with the fan interfering with the ram with the A70, you would have much the same problem with the Copper TRUE though. Have you tried offsetting the fan to mount it above the ram in the interfering ram slot? Look at the pic in the article where I offset the fan on the NH-D14 for clearance. If you can do that, you won't lose much performance at all.

That actually did not cross my mind (Doh!) lol... I will give that a go once my comp finishes doing these LinX runs :p

If memory serves me, all of these are takeoffs of an original design concepts developed by Thermalright. Another thing the tests show for me is the basic design is close to "as good as it gets" as far as air cooling goes.

Thanks for the review.

PS: I just received a Corsair A70 (couldn't pass on the price) to be used on a new system which I'm still waiting on components for. From reviews I've seen so far it should be right in the mix with coolers tested here. I may lap it simply because I have the tools and experience sharpening tools. From the looks of it, it won't take much.
Look at the pic in the article where I offset the fan on the NH-D14 for clearance. If you can do that, you won't lose much performance at all.
The problem I see is The A70 uses a snap on plastic shroud for a fan mount with no way to offset it unless adapting another method of attaching fan.

Last edited:
Yeah Blasthoff, I know what you mean about the A70 fan holder now. I bought one for review and if I ever get enough time I will get it posted up. Those rubber fan holder things work well though on mounting various fans to the plastic fan holder. It even held my Denki Beast very securely and before mounting it I had my doubts about that.

Back