Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

[O/C]Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case and CP-1000 PSU

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case and CP-1000 PSU
    by David

Antec has kindly sent me a Dark Fleet DF-85 case and CP-1000 PSU to review. These products are aimed at the upper end of the market; both products are in Antec's 'CPX' form factor and designed to work together.

... Return to the article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, hokiealumnus or David. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom)
    Last edited by David; 09-03-10 at 06:04 AM.

I once overclocked an Intel
    in a nightmare and
    it was HORRIBLE Senior

OCF's Plaything
    Author Profile Benching Profile
    Case looks great with the teddy bears

Good review
    (╯v)╯︵ ┻━┻
    currently has .2738428927348 internets
    create your own rules to find the answer
    be proud of the pink stars
    Earthdog: New codename for SB for extreme overclockers... BLEH.

Thats a meaner looking case than any off the HAF's! Great review
    Main System/File Server/IP-Fire Router
    CPU: I2500K @ 4.7Ghz (H2o cooled)//AMD Athlon 215 x2/Celeron 1.1Ghz
    Mainboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4/Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3/Gigabyte GA-C847N
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/12GB DDR3 1333Mhz//2GB DDR2
    Video: 2x nVidia GTX660 3GB sli/Radeon 3000//iGPU
    HDD: 256GB SSD (System)/WD VR 300GB(Games)/ 80GB HDD (TV Recordings)/WD VRaptor 160GB (Sytem), Maxtor 80GB (Sys Backup), 5x 1TB (RAID5 Data)/3TB (Backup) HighpointRR 3520 RAID Card/160GB
    PSU: Corsair TX-M 750W/Enermax 495W//FSP 300W
    Case: Coolermaster HAF932/CM Cosmos S/
    Audio: Toslink -> Pioneer VSX-820-K (Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master Audio)
    i7/i5/i3 Overclocking Guide/Intel Core2 overclocking guide/AMD AM2 overclocking Guide

I was ordering some spare parts a few days back for my nine hundred directly from Antec and was told they were phasing out the Gaming series, considering to me the gaming series is a lot more conservative looking than the Dark Fleet I hope they release another high airflow series that appeals to people not taken up with bling and like simplicity and function over crazy looking plastic over the front. Also they really need to stop using that same old side door look from the gamer cases if they want to create a new series...besides that performance wise they are headed in the right direction dropping the big boy fan and using 120mm slot that you can buy any quality drop in you chose.

Good Review...wish they would somehow make all their future cases compatible with their new form factor of power supplies.
    MSI Z-87 MPOWER SP
    I5 4670k @ 4.4ghz (100 x 44) 1.256 small fft load (1.235 in bios)
    8GB (2 x 2) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz ddr3
    Prolimatech Megahalems with Gentle Typhoon 1850's push/pull
    Corsair C70 with S-Flex throughout
    WD Caviar Black 1TB ~ MSI Gaming R9 290 4gigabyte
    Antec Signature 850

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Excellent review content!! Im damn curious to see some details about that PSU though... Hokie... when are you getting that rig of your up so we can take proper reviews (ripple, noise, etc)

I have to agree about the case. Not the biggest fan of that styling its pretty agressive and blingy, but something tells me Im not the demographic they are looking for (early 30's "professional", and I use professional quite loose, LOL). It kind of reminds me of the HAF-X a bit but I did like how that one looks...

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Whenever my father-in-law is done with it. He has made progress (saw it over a weekend in August) and has all the parts (he was waiting on some shunts), it will just take time for him to complete it.

I asked him to take it and work on it, but it would take him more time to draw out his plans on paper than to just build the thing, both of which would happen in his spare time. Unfortunately that spare time isn't very plentiful...he still works at 68 and loves what he does (engineer).

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Forums Super Moderator

10 Year Badge
    Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

The teddy bears belong to my girlfriend. When we moved in I started stacking my PC stuff there but she wouldn't have it . PC stuff got relegated to the spare room (where most of the review was done, had more space there).

I think the HAF-X looks a bit nicer than the DF-85 at the front top half, but the DF-85 looks better at the bottom. I do like the fact that the DF uses a standard size of fan, which ought to make things easier if one fails in the future.

Jonnyguru have reviewed the CP-1000 from an electrical point of view (see the link in the article) as well as the CP-850. The CP-1000 isn't a bad unit (the only major downside is the cable lengths are far too short) but it isn't much better than the 850 really.

The CPX PSUs are huge, which ought to be a good thing (more room for components and cooling) IMO.
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
    The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Its the front that did it for me... Then again, Im staring at a completely flat front panel box in the 800D... *looks admiringly over at the 800d*...

Again, great write up... and I loved the addition of that pint of coffee, err beer.

love the latin in the sig too...

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

Folding@Home in Downunder Australia.Victoria
    Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Very nice looking case indeed, looks better than the HAF-X and at least the CPU cutout on the Mobo tray is wider too, than that on the HAF-X

Pity that the PSU cables were short, and was also quite surprised for a PSU of that size it doesnt have both 4+4 and 8 pin CPU mobo power plugs as other PSU's of similar size do.

Great Review overall,thank you David

Forums Super Moderator

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDog View Post
    Its the front that did it for me... Then again, Im staring at a completely flat front panel box in the 800D... *looks admiringly over at the 800d*...
    The 800D looks amazing, but costs 1.5x what the DF-85 does over here. If I spent 200 on a case I'd get murdered. To be honest, I've never spent >60 on a case, but the DF-85 has convinced me that spending a bit extra (ca. 120-140) does actually get you something better

Again, great write up... and I loved the addition of that pint of coffee, err beer.
    My girlfriend makes a fantastic stew with Guiness, but only ever uses a little. So, naturally, I need to finish it off .

love the latin in the sig too...
    Nullias in verba - "On the word of no-one" (Royal Society of London Motto)
    Nemo me impune lacessit - "No-one strikes me with impunity" (Scottish motto)
    Nec temere, nec timide - "Neither rashly, nor timidly" (University of Edinburgh motto)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly-Swagman View Post
    Very nice looking case indeed, looks better than the HAF-X and at least the CPU cutout on the Mobo tray is wider too, than that on the HAF-X
    The tray looks pretty good, apart from the fact I'd have loved for it to be removable.

Pity that the PSU cables were short, and was also quite surprised for a PSU of that size it doesnt have both 4+4 and 8 pin CPU mobo power plugs as other PSU's of similar size do.
    I'm really surprised they aren't longer - surely someone at Antec tested the CP-1000 in the DF-85, the P183 and the Twelve Hundred? I don't get it.

Which mobo power plugs do you mean? There's the ATX power plug, an 8 pin and a 4+4 I'm sure (I can check)?

If anyone wants any specific pictures taken or parts checked, just let me know and I'll do my best to oblige
    Last edited by David; 09-06-10 at 01:52 PM.

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
    The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Well written review. But that case... Gaahh... Why is getting harder and harder to find an elegant case with nice lines? Not gunked up with plastic, and knobs and bobbles all over the place?
    Gigabyte Sniper M3 - i7 2700K - Corsair H80
    Asus GTX780 DCII - Dell U2712HM & Dell U2212HM
    16GB G.Skill Sniper - 256GB Crucial M4 - 3TB Hitachi 7K3000
    Silverstone ST65F-G - Silverstone SG10
    Heatware

Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Jesus...that case looks like everything I wish my HAF was.

edit: closer inspection, and Im not as partial to the front facing hdd bays. I always prefered the sideways ones. I see CM listened and made the 942 black inside. I do like the fan covers on that antec though.
    Last edited by georanma; 09-10-10 at 05:51 PM.
    Benderbox:i3 530 @ 4.4ghz //TRUE
    Black//MSI GD65//2x2 gig g-skill ripjaws DDR3 2000//XFX 5850//HAF 932//Corsair 750TX
    Bendermedia: i7 920 @ 4.0//Rampage III Extreme//H50// 2x3 gig OCZ ddr3 1600//MSI 4890 OC ed.//OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W

Any possibility to know if an triple rad fit in the front?
    Main Gear ------------------------------------Second Gear
    Phenom II 955 @3.8 -----------CPU -------Athlon x2 6000+
    Asus Gtx 280--------------------GPU--------MSI 9600 GT
    Quimonda 2x2gig Ddr2 800----RAM--------Kingston 2x1 1x1 ddr2 800
    M3N-HT Deluxe-----------------MOBO-------M2N-E
    Antec Earthwatt 650w-----------PSU--------Antec 500watt
    Wood Case || Wood Case 02
    Water: MCP655 With speed controler / -- mrc320 / ek res 250 / d-tek fuzion v1

HEATWARE

Prior to seeing this reviews I was looking into this case to do the paraflow mod on it with dual 120.3 rads on the side.
    If you still have the case could you measure from the bottom, to the first 5.25 bay please?

Forums Super Moderator

10 Year Badge
    For those looking to fit rads in:

It's 39 cm from the floor of the case to the first 5.25 in bay. In that space there is a rack for holding 3.5 in drives which is, as you may guess, the width of a 3.5 inch hard disk drive. It's riveted in, which may make it a challenge to remove. It may also contribute to the sturdiness of the case.

Registered
    Looking at upgrading to a full-tower that supports liquid cooling, pretty sure this is the case I want to go for, only other cases that have really caught my eye are the thermaltake armour series, are these much better?

Thanks for the measurment david, looks like I can go ahead and order this up

I love the case, nice review David. I have heard those PSUs are very good...but I wonder what the boys at Antec were thinking making the wires too short on what is basically a proprietary PSU designed for their own cases. Amazing, walk down the hall...measure something.
    Jiggy X58A-UD7 - Intel i7 920 D0 +4.9ghz - Kingston Hyper-X DDr3 2333 - 2x MSI GTX 480
    Jiggy 890FXA-UD5 - AMD 1090t BE +6.0ghz - Mushkin Ridgeback DDr3 2000 - 2x Biostar HD 4890 R.I.P.
    Antec TPQ 1200w - Sunbeam Tech Bench - WD Raptors - Koolance v2 - 2x K|ngp|n Tek-9 v6 Slim - ShamWow

Quote Originally Posted by Grosjambon View Post
    Any possibility to know if an triple rad fit in the front?

Well I was wrong when I typed that up. The rads fit vertically into the case, you just have to give them a little push to get them in. They fit very snug between the bottom of the case and the first bay.
    But the mobo tray is about 3/4 of an inch to long and needs to be trimmed in order to make the back rad fit.

ps. my rad is the gtx360
    Last edited by hackintosh; 11-13-10 at 09:29 PM.

bump for a correction to my previous post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast