• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 Family Pack is coming back

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveHCYJ

Starting October 3rd you will once again be able to purchase the Win7 family pack (3 upgrade licenses for $150).

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/...in-time-for-the-anniversary-of-windows-7.aspx

I don't know why they let this thing go away in the first place. The retail price of a single upgrade license is too high in my opinion compared to the OEM and Full Retail prices. I'm glad to see the Family Pack is back.

I purchased this the day Windows 7 came out. Very convenient.

Strange last week Microsucks was adament this was no longer available nor planned to be available...

Oh man I'm definitely buying one this time! This is great, I love Windows 7. Best news I've heard today, in fact you just made my weekend! :attn:

Starting October 3rd you will once again be able to purchase the Win7 family pack (3 upgrade licenses for $150).

For $50 more, I'd go this route:
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/totw/technet2.asp

Via a subscription service called TechNet Plus Direct, you could download and install multiple, full versions of Windows 7, Vista and XP, Windows Server 2008/R2 and 2003, Microsoft Office and standalone Office apps, and more, all for just $350. TechNet Plus was, and still is, a great deal. But this month, Microsoft has provided a new, lower-end version of TechNet called TechNet Standard. This one costs just $200, but provides access to almost all of the same software as TechNet Plus. (Only enterprise-class software is omitted.) So if you're really on a budget but want to learn more about Microsoft software, and need multiple PC installs, this is the new sweet spot.

The following information was originally provided in the April 9 tip, but updated for TechNet Standard:

technet-v-technet.jpg

TechNet Subscription is a subscription service that Microsoft aims at IT pros. There are various versions of the service at various price levels, but the new version you should consider is called TechNet Subscription Standard, or TechNet Standard for short. It costs $199 for a year ($149 for renewals), and includes online access to downloadable ISO files for various Microsoft operating systems and applications, including full versions of Windows 7, Vista and XP, Microsoft Office and standalone Office apps, and more. That's a lot of stuff. But it gets better. Consider the following:

It's forever.
Even though the subscription lasts only a year, the product keys for the products you have access to won't stop working after a year. So while you will lose download access to those ISOs after a year, as long as you saved copies of them, you can reinstall over and over again. The product keys are forever.

It's for multiple installs.
Each product key can be used to install up to 10 versions of the OS or application, for the most part. But that's actually 100 (yes, 100) installs for each Windows 7 product edition, because you can activate each key 10 times. So you get 100 installs of Windows 7 Ultimate, 100 installs of Windows 7 Professional, 100 installs of Windows 7 Home Premium, and so on. That's an incredible value, though it should be noted that this program is designed for a single person. You can't share the product keys with others. What you're getting, essentially, as an individual is multiple, unlimited installs of the products that are included with the subscription ... for yourself.

They're full product versions.
These are not time-limited products, and they're not upgrade versions. TechNet Subscription Standard supplies full product versions.

Here's a really nice break down of which programs you can/can't download with each subscription, provided by Microsoft.

Comparison Sheet

Pretty much everything except the Enterprise versions or the highest grade version of most high profile products.

That article on TechNet subscriptions is a bit misleading. As I recall, the technet subscription is limited to test environments only. So while the subscription gives you piles of keys, you can't use it to check your e-mail, browse the internet, play games, etc. You can only use it to test things. Here is the list of things you are limited to do with the keys:
Software test scenarios allowed with TechNet Subscriptions
TechNet Subscription software may be tested to determine the following:
Install/Uninstall – Time and process required for full, partial or upgrade software install/uninstall processes and system integration.
Recovery – Capacity for software to recover from crashes, hardware failures, or other catastrophic problems.
Security – Defining software’s ability to protect against unauthorized internal or external access.
Compatibility – Gauging software performance in existing or new hardware, software, operating system or network environments.
Comparison – Evaluating software to determine product strengths and weaknesses as compared to previous versions or similar products.
Usability – Assessing satisfaction among end users, observing end user utilization and understanding user interaction scenarios.
Performance – Ensuring software will perform as expected to requirements.
Stability – Estimating individual software’s ability to perform consistently, relative to system demands.
Environment – Determining software settings while software is being evaluated by end users in existing infrastructure.
Also, the Technet subscriptions are licensed to the PERSON not the computer, meaning your brother, wife, parents, friends, roomates, etc. are not legally allowed to log on to any machine you use these keys on.

I believe the cheapest subscription that allows personal use are the MSDN subscriptions (starting at $1000+ per year) and those still prohibit your friends/family/etc.

Perhaps, but if we were to all abide by the Microsoft TOC EULA and such for every product, we'd all use Linux or OS X. ;)

I suppose it's up for interpretation <insert evil grin here> that I'm using my subscription to "Perform a full install to test the compatibility of my (uncle/cousin/mom/etc)'s system for the performance and stability of their hardware within their environment."

Perhaps, but if we were to all abide by the Microsoft TOC EULA and such for every product, we'd all use Linux or OS X. ;)

I suppose it's up for interpretation <insert evil grin here> that I'm using my subscription to "Perform a full install to test the compatibility of my (uncle/cousin/mom/etc)'s system for the performance and stability of their hardware within their environment."

Whether individuals choose to follow or break the EULA is up to them, but on the forums we shouldn't misrepresent what the terms of license agreements are.

The Family Pack is a good option for anyone with several machines that wanted to move to Win7 but was put off by the cost.

Whether individuals choose to follow or break the EULA is up to them, but on the forums we shouldn't misrepresent what the terms of license agreements are.

The Family Pack is a good option for anyone with several machines that wanted to move to Win7 but was put off by the cost.
Obviously, I was just making a joke. :p Could you state your source for the EULA for the family pack vs the TechNet? Even with the family pack, it would be at best within the same household. So, uncles/brothers/etc would be a moot point, unless they were within the same household.

Back