• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Easy Button?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Greywalker

My headsets have sound and the mic will not work. Since I've installed win 7 I have been plagued with no use of mic. What I might have is a simple software issue but I am at a loss for words on the pnp device. I do notice when using vent my voice isn't recording but sound is going over the Wave using my audio card and the recipient gets a loud obnoxious tone.

What am I doing wrong?

HAI! :D

First, are you using directsound within vent? Vent -> Setup -> (top/right) -> Direct Sound checked for both input and outbound device.

Next, for input device make sure you're selecting the appropriate device that's represented as your mic.

Lastly, under W7, check Control Panel -> Sound -> 'Recording' Tab. Two items here: Make sure your mic is set as default (right-click item and "set as default"). Also, double-click the device in question (your mic) and go to the "levels" tab. Make sure you are at 80 or so.

Try that out and let me know. :thup:

Attachments

• hmmm-that-was-easy.jpg
    hmmm-that-was-easy.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 120
Next, for input device make sure you're selecting the appropriate device that's represented as your mic.

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I have done this. Recording to my pnp mic doesn't work, mind now that no program registers my mic. When I initially installed windows 7 I was nervous about my recently cracked headset. At first the mic worked fine in vent and game as a perfect pnp device should. Then suddenly, it stopped working and people tell me it emits a high pitched sound when I attempt to use voice chat. I now have a new HPA2 by turtle beach, so here I am with great sound and same symptoms.

If it makes any sense, a bit of clarity seems to have dropped since I upgraded my OS.

Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording -> (double-click on your mic) -> Advanced

Try enabling/disabling exclusive mode and see if the issue persists.

Is this your headset? Are you using the front or rear audio jacks?

First, I tried that and everything in between, It was the first logical step. I show one Microphone icon for ASUS Xonar DX Audio Device and an additional Microphone icon for PnP Audio Device. I disable one, test, another, test, I restarted quite a few times.

ASUS tech support advised a delete/reinstall of the audio card drivers. I did this but nothing. I have two headsets, both new and old have same issue. I am worried it maybe the card.

Lastly, Yes that is my headset. The turtle beach HPA2 so far sounds great. I use the rear jacks, on the audio card.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On a side note I can advise you on every game applicable thus far there is no voice recognition, almost like the mic is not plugged in or recognized. My pc illiteracy is revealed and I bet a magic fairy will advise me to visit a middle-eastern shop, rape marmalade, sell arms, and lick a camel to reveal I've been had by mankind's ultimate White-Devil, Glenn Beck.

Last edited:
Well, if you're connecting directly to the sound card and still having this issue, then I'm left with two items. Either your sound card has failed, or there is a major driver failure within your OS installation. :(

Have you tried a different mic on your computer and your mic on a different computer? (I mean totally different brand/model/etc). It could very well be that your audio card/codec is busted. RMA!

Yestarday I removed the audio card and drivers. i had the same issue w/the onboard sound as well. The audio card may still be bad but it's something to note.

Yestarday I removed the audio card and drivers. i had the same issue w/the onboard sound as well. The audio card may still be bad but it's something to note.

Check your microphone gain levels. My brother had that cranked up by default and it made everything obnoxious. I turned it down to 0 and it fixed his problem. I don't remember exactly where the setting is, but its there.

Yes, I reduced it and it was very much at max. Sadly it doesn't seem to help at all. I get a direct sound device errors like it failed to enable when connecting to Vent.

Last edited:
Back