• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New graphics card for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. Just has to be the same core for SLI. I think ATI has some hybrid Crossfire where you can use a 5870 and 5850 at the same time though... not certain.

Yes you can but performance wise it acts like 2 5850s though when you crossfire 5850 and a 5870. Or so i've read.

At 1920x1080/1200 a single 5870/5850 or 470/480 can plow through that res with copious amount of (unnecessary) AA. When thats not enough in a year, then do SLI for another year and hop on the every other gen bandwagon. ;)

And i totally agree with Earthdog here. I feel this is probably the best step to take but its up to you. I personally like radeon over nvidia but that is my option. I think i'm just bias to go for a radeon cause i have one. But i'm being upfront about it so there.

Anyways to get back on topic I would actually go for a 5870 over 2 gtx 460s. Yes the 2 gtx 460s will outperform the 5870 but not by much. Then later when prices drop you can crossfire it later.

You can get one for $370 at newegg. I like sapphire because they have great customer service.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102883&cm_re=5870-_-14-102-883-_-Product

And i totally agree with Earthdog here. I feel this is probably the best step to take but its up to you. I personally like radeon over nvidia but that is my option. I think i'm just bias to go for a radeon cause i have one. But i'm being upfront about it so there.

Anyways to get back on topic I would actually go for a 5870 over 2 gtx 460s. Yes the 2 gtx 460s will outperform the 5870 but not by much. Then later when prices drop you can crossfire it later.

You can get one for $370 at newegg. I like sapphire because they have great customer service.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102883&cm_re=5870-_-14-102-883-_-Product

Well I've been thinking and now I got a new question. If I bought a 5870 graphics card. Which one should I buy? the one from sapphire or asus or xfx? Is there even a difference? Thanks :)

I would also step up to a better quality PSU. Not that the one you have is junk, but...could be better for the money.

Which PSU would you recommend then?

Last edited:
Any in the corsair line is a fine choice. If you cant afford the HX, get the TX version. The only difference is its not modular.

As far as which brand, thats up to you. Research the warranties for each company and see which you prefer.

Any in the corsair line is a fine choice. If you cant afford the HX, get the TX version. The only difference is its not modular.

As far as which brand, thats up to you. Research the warranties for each company and see which you prefer.

Won't different brands also have different methods of cooling?

Btw, if I buy a vapor x card from sapphire. It says that its already overclocked. Will I be able to still boost its performance?
Also, which card stays cooler? the xfx or the sapphire one?

Last edited:
You should be able to OC both cards no matter which one you get. How much is just luck of the draw. The vapor X is supposed to be a better heatsink so it suppose to run cooler then a stock card. Dont think any of the cards are refrence cards so you wont beable to increase voltage on them. They will beable to overclock but not as much as if you were allowed to increase the voltage. If you purchase a msi card you should beable to increase voltage through their afterburner program. Just remember if you do go that route and overvolt your card and damage it i'm not sure it would be covered under warranty.

Cant talk bout XFX custmor service but sapphire has been good with me. But the Lifetime transferable warranty that XFX offers sounds extremely nice.

You should be able to OC both cards no matter which one you get. How much is just luck of the draw. The vapor X is supposed to be a better heatsink so it suppose to run cooler then a stock card. Dont think any of the cards are refrence cards so you wont beable to increase voltage on them. They will beable to overclock but not as much as if you were allowed to increase the voltage. If you purchase a msi card you should beable to increase voltage through their afterburner program. Just remember if you do go that route and overvolt your card and damage it i'm not sure it would be covered under warranty.

Cant talk bout XFX custmor service but sapphire has been good with me. But the Lifetime transferable warranty that XFX offers sounds extremely nice.

Well in the end I guess I have to pick between an apparent "rawring Jet" with a lifetime warranty or a quieter, cooler card with just 2 years warranty. >.< Such a hard decision.

Well in the end I guess I have to pick between an apparent "rawring Jet" with a lifetime warranty or a quieter, cooler card with just 2 years warranty. >.< Such a hard decision.

are u the type that upgrades every 2 years anyway?? if so get the vapor-x... my final two choices of brands when i got my 5750 was the xfx and the sapphire vapor-x as well... i went with the xfx for the warranty and i upgrade my video cards 3-4 years. also price was a factor, the xfx was a little bit cheaper. although the vaporx did look "nicer" to me and the cooler was better..

are u the type that upgrades every 2 years anyway?? if so get the vapor-x... my final two choices of brands when i got my 5750 was the xfx and the sapphire vapor-x as well... i went with the xfx for the warranty and i upgrade my video cards 3-4 years. also price was a factor, the xfx was a little bit cheaper. although the vaporx did look "nicer" to me and the cooler was better..

Well generally I upgrade every 3-4 years. Can't afford to upgrade that often :p I've been thinking of going with the vapor-x cause its cooler and quieter but I'm not sure. How hot and loud does the xfx get?

Well generally I upgrade every 3-4 years. Can't afford to upgrade that often :p I've been thinking of going with the vapor-x cause its cooler and quieter but I'm not sure. How hot and loud does the xfx get?

well i have a 5750 so it may be totally different from what your looking at. i think mine reaches close to 80deg on 100% load but i dont have the greatest airflow either. noise is not bad, not that loud but then i dont really care because i wont hear it anyway when im playing games on my z5500 5.1 speakers ;) the card it quiet when i watch HD movies...

Back