• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New graphics card for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

some1butu

Registered
Hello everyone!
I'm looking for a graphic card for a new build. It will be as follows:

CPU = Intel I7 930 OCed to 4ghz
Motherboard = Gigabyte Mainboard GA-X58A-UD3R
RAM = Corsair PC-12800 6gb 1600MHz Unbuffered 8-8-8-24, DIMM
PSU = OCZ 700MXSP ModXStream Pro 700 Watt
Current Video Card = Undecided

It doesn't matter what brand it is, as long as I can use it for high graphics gaming. I will also most likely be buying 2 for a dual setup. As for the price I need to find something that's 200(per card) or under. Any help is much appreciated!

i think the gtx 460 1go ot the gtx 460 768go nvidia the 768go is cheaper

460 1GB at that price...dont get the 768, its slower.

Why SLI? With $400 you can get a GTX 480 and run anything on any non eyefinity or 3dvision resolutions....what res are you gaming on?

I would also step up to a better quality PSU. Not that the one you have is junk, but...could be better for the money.

There are 2 different cards for that price range that will work. Either the GTX460 as stated above or ati's 5830. Both are good cards but overall benchmarks i think the 460 wins out. I think the 5830 did better at gaming at higher resoultion then the 460 though on a couple of games.

The plus side with the 5830 though is the eyefinity technology they offer. Its a much better multi monitor setup then the nvidia cards can offer. If your planning on gaming with more then one monitor then I'd go with the 5830. If you just using one monitor i'd go with the 460.

Gainward GeForce GTX460 1024 MB Golden Sample Goes Like Hell is the best video card for only 250 $ and its more powerful then the gtx 470 in certain games

There are 2 different cards for that price range that will work. Either the GTX460 as stated above or ati's 5830. Both are good cards but overall benchmarks i think the 460 wins out. I think the 5830 did better at gaming at higher resoultion then the 460 though on a couple of games.

The plus side with the 5830 though is the eyefinity technology they offer. Its a much better multi monitor setup then the nvidia cards can offer. If your planning on gaming with more then one monitor then I'd go with the 5830. If you just using one monitor i'd go with the 460.
Eyefinity and gaming on that card is not a good choice. The 5830 loses out to the 460 1GB in most if not all games and most if not all res too...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/07/12/nvidia-geforce-gtx-460-graphics-card-review/7

Gainward GeForce GTX460 1024 MB Golden Sample Goes Like Hell is the best video card for only 250 $ and its more powerful then the gtx 470 in certain games
I dont suggest buying factory overclocked cards when you can do the job yourself for free.

(and thats over his $200 budget by a lot).

Dont forget thats an overclocked card and you can find factory overclocked 470's that will put it right back on top of any 460. ;)

460 1GB at that price...dont get the 768, its slower.

Why SLI? With $400 you can get a GTX 480 and run anything on any non eyefinity or 3dvision resolutions....what res are you gaming on?

I would also step up to a better quality PSU. Not that the one you have is junk, but...could be better for the money.

I'm pretty sure SLI 2 460s will outperform a single 480. The downside of getting 2 460 to sli now is that later you wont beable to upgrade without getting a new set of cards while the 480 you can crossfire later.

but the gainward overclocked to 800 mhz you can overclocked to 900 mhz but not overclocked you can t reach the 900 mhz

Yes. It will. Its also double the power, heat, and noise, and could come with problems (microstuttering, zero scaling in SLI until driver updates). Im not a fan of SLI/Crossfire and Im not a fan of midrange cards in SLI/Crossfire as like you mentioned no upgrade path. Many people differ from my opinion though.

At 1920x1080/1200 a single 5870/5850 or 470/480 can plow through that res with copious amount of (unnecessary) AA. When thats not enough in a year, then do SLI for another year and hop on the every other gen bandwagon. ;)

Yes. It will. Its also double the power, heat, and noise, and could come with problems (microstuttering, zero scaling in SLI until driver updates). Im not a fan of SLI/Crossfire and Im not a fan of midrange cards in SLI/Crossfire as like you mentioned no upgrade path. Many people differ from my opinion though.

At 1920x1080/1200 a single 5870/5850 or 470/480 can plow through that res with copious amount of (unnecessary) AA. When thats not enough in a year, then do SLI for another year and hop on the every other gen bandwagon. ;)
we can put different brand in the sli/corssfire?

Yes. Just has to be the same core for SLI. I think ATI has some hybrid Crossfire where you can use a 5870 and 5850 at the same time though... not certain.

but the gainward overclocked to 800 mhz you can overclocked to 900 mhz but not overclocked you can t reach the 900 mhz
I also dont understand what you are getting at, I dont think. Its not all about clockspeed. the 470 has more stream processors and ROPs than the 460 so it doesnt you cant compare a 460 and 470 with only clockspeeds b/c of the ROPs and SP differences.

(btu enough threadjacking here....) :thup:

Thats not true at all. The superclocked cards are usually the exact same card just factory clocked at a higher rate. Some manufacturers might upgrade their heatsink but a lot just keep the same heatsink and just change the art on the card. It comes down to how lucky you got with your gpu on the card.

Here's a personal example. I have a sapphire 5850 toxic card. I'm only able to OC to a stable 800mhz. Anything more and i start getting random crashes. Then there are people that have regular 5850s that are OCing them to 900mhz. Thats 100Mhz more then my factor overclocked card. I personally would of never bought toxic version. I got it when i RMA'd my 4870x2 and they offered me the 5850. Too me the extra $70-100 to get the toxic version wouldn't have been worth it.

Yes. Just has to be the same core for SLI. I think ATI has some hybrid Crossfire where you can use a 5870 and 5850 at the same time though... not certain.
the same core only , if the frequency of the gpu or the memories its different its okay

There is some belief that the overclocked cards are 'binned' better to reach those speeds, but across 20 videocards I have had in the past 6 years, ALL of them can reach even the highest factory overclocked speeds and keep on truckin'. :)

the same core only , if the frequency of the gpu or the memories its different its okay
Yes, I believe it will just use the slowest speeds of the two.

I did answer your question. I quoted it in fact...

I said if the frequencies of the cards are different that is ok as they will both use the lower clocks of the two cards. If the frequencies are the same, there is nothing to change.

I did answer your question. I quoted it in fact...

I said if the frequencies of the cards are different that is ok as they will both use the lower clocks of the two cards. If the frequencies are the same, there is nothing to change.
they will change automatically the use of the lower clocks

I dont know, I think its automatic, yes. But we should stop hijacking this guys thread. I would politely suggest you search this site as I know that has been covered many times before or start your own thread if you cant find it searching. :)

Back