• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reduce Win7 install on 64GB SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

givmedew

I have a crucial 64GB RealSSD C300 as my main drive. I really don't want Windows taking up 16gb when I know that atleast 6gb is completely useless tablet pc, speech recognition, and language options.

I have tried using vLite and build after build after build after build has failed to install. I started with removing tons of things then down to removing next to nothing and still they all fail at some point during the install it usually says something about it causes a restart and that I need to start the install process over.

I am trying to make a build of Windows 7 Premium 64 Bit

I have spent over 4 hours pulling and reading. Most of the stuff is old information and seems like they are pulling more off than me.

Does anyone know the easiest way to remove just the big crap to get the install to be sub 8GB. Also I would probably like to completely avoid using vLite if there is another option as vLite just seems to be broke.

Also just fyi No I am not doing the test installs on the SSD as that many would probably take a toll!

vlite is from 2008 it doesn't work with Win 7. I haven't seen or heard of anything that does work

Tons of people are using it with 7 and there are videos out there trying to show how to use it but none of them focus on what components they used

Anyone know of a good forum for this

check out this

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/137765-windows-7-rtm-32-64-bit-updated/

the files necessary are on page 17 and on.

im still running win 7 on my netbook (probably the most amazing os on my netbook i have used) using 4.45gb right now with a win 7 pro install, with areo, all the updates, firefox AND ms office 2010, etc

i am most def going to check out that RT seven lite tho! should make life a little easier... ill report back later if its able to strip as much out as the link above.

Also remember when using a ssd, to disable hibernate and turn off and or reduce the page file to get some space back as well.

also here is the tutorial i made for the front page of overclockers. http://www.overclockers.com/my-windows-7-netbook-experience/

Last edited:
Looks like RT7Lite is exactly what I've been needing. Oh, how I've missed creating nLite'd XP installs :)

I'll check it out later as I have a 25GB partition I'm currently squeezing W7 into (8GB free!).

:cool:

sounds like I stirred up the pot on this one. It is very needed for netbook, ssd drives, and short stroked raid set-ups. I have a 32 bit build made by someone else running on my girlfriends laptop and my short stroked raid set up on my older computer. But I have 6gb of ram and want a 64 bit os on this computer.

The 32bit image I have is around 5gb installed and it is super fast. My girlfriend had xp with 512mb of ram and it was a horrible experience she wanted a new laptop I told her to upgrade to 7 and buy a 1gb ram module to replace one of the 256 that is inside.

Turns out after installing that super lite version of 7 she really doesn't even need it.

I'm going to stay onboard with this because I really really need to take my install down to sub 6gb I need that extra 10gb since ssd performance is not as good full (well neither are traditional HDs)

Back