• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cyborg R.A.T.7 mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnDborder

My curiousity got the best of me. Went and picked one up.

Pro's: The thumb can be adjusted forwards/backwards and width angle.
The pinky finger skid plate.
The palm rest can be adjusted forward/backward.

Con: the "back" button on the thumb side is positioned too far back. I have to use my thumb knuckle for it.
Price.

Some reviews I've read said this is incompatible with a soft mouse pad. I haven't any problems with my Steelseries mousepad. Which is cloth/rubber.
With this mouse I can rest my palm on the mouse, thanks to the adjusts, and not have the heel of my hand resting on the pad forcing me to "claw" the mouse and using my fingers to aim the cursor.
It seems that I have a better kill/die ratio, but that's not saying much as much as I suxor in certain games..
Just got it yesterday so it will take a little getting used to.

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

Last edited:
I've been Jonesing for one ever since I saw the review in a magazine but can't bring myself to spend that much for a mouse.

I emailed tech support anyways. I'll start going through all my games and seeing if any of them pick it up...

EDIT: Haven't gone through games yet, but I have been able to create a horizontal scrolling effect by mapping the left and right (arrow) keyboard buttons to the horizontal scroll wheel. Windows clearly doesn't like recognizing it on its own. Guess I'll have an extra mode for any games that natively support the horizontal scroll.

Last edited:
Still my number one mouse..
But changed my mouse pad to a Mionix ALIOTH 400 Mouse Pad quite awhile ago.
It's a real good combo.

Rat 7

Ah, the rat 7...

I bought the first batch of the rat 7. Man what a piece of junk. not only did it not work on any dark mousepad, or any mousepad for that matter, but the tracking was a complete mess. And the pinkie guard didn't even come with a teflon pad on it.

Madcatz is sending me the latest batch as we speak, so it'll be fun to compare. I hope all the issues are fixed in the latest batch.

As for the thumb scroll, there is no function for it "yet". There's a forum on this. Basically it doesnt' do anything. Why did they put it there? only god knows. But it does nothing.

not quite a year dead. <_<

i just picked up one of these (6400 dpi version). no trouble with surfaces yet (desk, white paper, painted metal, jeans).

Had trouble getting thumb-wheel to work in game (e.g. painkiller - alice: mad again). the only way i could get the thumb-wheel to work ingame was to use the "new advanced command" dialog, then tick the macro check-box when done. ("new macro" did not work.)

i could not get horizontal scrolling in win 7 apps (e.g. notepad) without resorting to autohotkey, but was able to get it to work with.

Code:
RControl & l::  ; Scroll left.
ControlGetFocus, fcontrol, A
Loop 4  ; <-- Increase this value to scroll faster.
    SendMessage, 0x114, 0, 0, %fcontrol%, A  ; 0x114 is WM_HSCROLL and the 0 after it is SB_LINELEFT.
return

RControl & r::  ; Scroll right.
ControlGetFocus, fcontrol, A
Loop 4  ; <-- Increase this value to scroll faster.
    SendMessage, 0x114, 1, 0, %fcontrol%, A  ; 0x114 is WM_HSCROLL and the 1 after it is SB_LINERIGHT.
return

this basically cut & paste from the autohotkey site. (changed key combo to one i would hardly ever use for something else.)

edited: "tick" used to be "ticking"

I love my R.A.T 7, I have no problems with it being on a mouse pad, also now the only buttons i have to worry about on my keyboard are my directional keys.

Saitek is a Madcatz company?!??!

edit: Bought for 30mil back in 07', wow no wonder their products have been on a decline...

Hi,
Always after restarting the computer, the mouse is not working properly, rat 7 start to chips. I must plug and unplug mice , and than everything is ok. I reinstall drivers , but nothing. Any idea?

Regards

I got my RAT 7 last weekend (6400 dpi), no issues what so ever. I had a RAT 3 before that, and LOVED it, but: This has double the dpi than my 3200 RAT 3, plus the thumbwheel, precision aim, and full adjust-ability.

Yes, Cyborg/Saitek/Eclipse/Triton/Gameshark are all brands of MadCatz, Inc. Don't let it fool you though, Cyborg branded peripherals are designed for hard-core gaming. My RAT 3 lasted over a year, and still works beautifully. It'll be good for another 3 years at least, I'm sure.

As far as your mouse not working correctly after reboot, I had a similar problem. Here's what I did, and what I think will help you too:
1st: Uninstall Smart Technology
2nd: Go to Device Manager, and make sure that there is no drop-down menu for Programming Support. If there is, you still have something related to the ST software installed.
3rd: Go to Program Files, and delete any Smart Technology folders
4th: Download the latest drivers and software from http://www.cyborggaming.com/download.htm (should be driver version 7.0.12.0, and software version 7.0.13.22)
5th: Go back to Device Manager, and click on Mice and other pointing devices.
6th: Right click on Cyborg RAT7 Mouse (HID) and click Uninstall. When the "Confirm driver uninstall" window pops up, MAKE SURE to tick the box next to "delete the driver software for this device". Click Ok.
7th: Unplug your mouse, and plug it back in.
8th: When the "Installing new hardware" icon pops up, click it, and stop Windows from searching Windows Update.
9th: Once the hardware wizard is finished, it should say something to the effect of "HID-compliant mouse" was installed.
10th: Install drivers
11th: Install software
12th: Your done! You should now have no problems using your mouse after a reboot.

Sigh...

The only reason I bought my G9X over the RAT 7 was because I heard in a LOT of reviews that it was not a very reliable mouse, that parts and the sensor would fail in 6-9 months..

I was really close to getting one too..I wonder if its even worth it to get it from the G9X now..

Back