• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG "MAX11L"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAHALLEN

OK, I'm not an expert modder like my teammate TiTON, but I thought I'd try my hand at a pretty easy project to dive into this world of modding. So this will be the first project log that I'm taking pretty seriously: MAX11L

"MAX11L" stands for maximum performance in less than 11 liters of space. I started off with a basic air cooled project which you may have seen posted at overclockers.com.
http://www.overclockers.com/gaming-tight-spaces-miniitx/

SFF-43.jpg

SFF-61.jpg

At heart I'm an overclocker, not a modder. So performance takes #1 priority with all my systems, and this one will be no exception. I still have not decided whether or not I'm going to use Lynnfield or Clardale. But one of the first changes needed was better cooling, so I'm switching to water cooling thanks to Corsair and the new H70. Here is the rest of the parts list.

Getting ready for the next upgrade. Playing around with some modling to verify my measurements. Looks like everything is going to fit perfect :)

case - Silverstone SUGO SG05 (interior will be painted)
PSU - Silverstone 450W SFX (all cables will be custom sized and sleeved)
mobo - Gigabyte H55N-USB3 (Thank you Gigabyte Japan!)
CPU - Intel i5 750 @ 4.2GHz or i5 670 @ 4.8GHz (I'll test for performance)
CPU cooling - Corsair H70 with one 120x38mm 150CFM Delta (Thank you Corsair!)
memory - 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX3 (Thank you Corsair!)
graphics card - Gigabyte 5870 SOC (Thank you Gigabyte Japan!)
OS storage - 80GB Intel X25M SSD (for Windows 7 Home Premium x64)
games/media storage - 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive (for games & media)

Here is a 3D model I used to check for measurements (using Rhino 3D v1.0)

front01.jpg

top01.jpg

right02.jpg

right01.jpg

rear01.jpg

left01.jpg

Almost all the parts have arrived, and I've done the cutting mods on the case today for a test fitting.......EVERYTHING FIT :D

:naughty: teaser :hip:
P1010830.jpg

As you can see I've had to rearrange things slightly compared with my renderings, but it looks like everything will work out OK like this.

I'll be updating shortly with my progress on the modding. But for the full performance review, you'll have to wait for the final article which will be posted at techreaction.net in a few weeks.

Any comments/criticizms are welcome and appreciated :thumb:

Cheers for all the comments so far guys :)

If you haven't already seen the article I wrote about gaming in a small chassis, it'll give you a good idea of where I'm coming from...

OK, so build log #1....

So, first off knew based on my renderings that I would be loosing the stock optical/SSD/HDD mounting options due to the H70 location. The optical drive was not a problem for this build because I'm not using one....but that left the SSD and the 3.5" HDD I was using that needed a new home. I quickly realized that retaining the 3.5" drive in a build this small wouldn't be worth the effort, and I hadn't been happy with the performance of it anyhow. So I ordered one of the new 500GB Seagate Momentus XT drive to replace it. So with only 2 2.5" drives to mount, the task became much simpler. After surveying the build in 3D, I figured out that the PSU is the perfect dimensions for this Akasa SSD mounting kit

MAX11L1.jpg
First I cut a piece of spare aluminum....

MAX11L2.jpg
....and lined it up with the chassis cross-brace.

MAX11L3.jpg
Then I rivited the two together.

MAX11L4.jpg

MAX11L5.jpg
You can see here how the Akasa mount will attach.

MAX11L10.jpg
And here is the kit mounted (thumb-screws on the inside since it'll be difficult to access with a screwdriver after built.

MAX11L11.jpg

MAX11L9.jpg
The opposite side mounts directly to the chassis.

MAX11L12.jpg

MAX11L13.jpg
Seems like it was made to be like that :D

MAX11L14.jpg
It also seems that if I wanted to expand there's plenty of height there for a second mounted under the first.

MAX11L6.jpg
Looking at the front of the chassis....I knew the other mahor mod for this build would be getting the 5870 to fit. The interior length of the case is about 5mm shy...so......

MAX11L7.jpg
I had to make room. ;) So, the video card stick through the front of the chassis.

MAX11L17.jpg

MAX11L18.jpg

MAX11L19.jpg

MAX11L20.jpg

MAX11L16.jpg
Prepping the mobo for the H70.

MAX11L21.jpg
Motherboard and H70 mounted....I'm currently testing with my i5 670. I'll swap for the i5 750 later to compare performance.

MAX11L23.jpg

MAX11L24.jpg
Memory installed

MAX11L25.jpg

MAX11L26.jpg

MAX11L27.jpg

MAX11L28.jpg
Add the storage back into the mix.

MAX11L29.jpg
The SSD/HDD mount was slightly interfering with the H70 hoses....but a little tweaking was all that was necessary.

MAX11L30.jpg

MAX11L31.jpg

MAX11L32.jpg

MAX11L33.jpg
OK, add in the PSU and graphics card and we're about finished......

MAX11L34.jpg

MAX11L35.jpg
Hummm....I don't like the way that looks with the SATA data cable lengths....anyone know where I can get REALLY short ones? These are only 20cm....but still WAY TOO long. :(

MAX11L36.jpg

MAX11L37.jpg

MAX11L38.jpg

MAX11L39.jpg

MAX11L40.jpg
Tight fit for the H70 VS graphics card...it was making contact a littl....I'll have to do some simple insulation (tape or something).

MAX11L41.jpg

MAX11L42.jpg

MAX11L43.jpg
It's hard to see from this angle, but the front panel is bulging :(

MAX11L44.jpg
You can see it better from this bottom angle.

MAX11L45.jpg
Three causes....#1 above, fixed with Dremel.

MAX11L46.jpg
#2 & 3.........

MAX11L47.jpg
.....fixed with Dremel :D

MAX11L48.jpg
No more bulging ;)

MAX11L49.jpg

OK, so that's it for now. Waiting on a few things....this first peicing together was to get the mods in place and make sure everything fit. Now I'm testing the see what this 670 can do with the H70. Within the next two weeks or so I'll be painting (first time for me via spray paint...any good guide out there?), and sleeving my cables (first time as well).

I'm pretty excited and want this to be nice....I don't have the tools or experiance to make this thing look like a MDPC, but I am going for a little bling (also a first for me), so any suggestions are eagerly requested :p

Awesome MIAHALLEN, you certainly made use of every inch of space there was available in that case, well done bro, looking great!

+1 this is one sw33t rig. About the only thing i would even concider would be cutting a window into the side closest to the graphics card and putting some mesh into it to help get cool air to the card, but thats just me.

This has inspired my ideas for a mini itx htpc, thx :D

Looks awesome!

Is the rad fan in push? I was thinking maybe put the fan on the other side of the rad and push air through it, pulling air from outside the case.

I like j0rd's idea too.

When I get the new Delta, I'm going to try it in a pull posistion....moving the rad to the rear would make water tube routing a bit more difficult, but it might be possible....that was my original plan.

I like j0rd's idea too :D

Those 120x38mm fans with big hubs are actually better in push based on some of skinnee's testing, not by a lot, just ~1C. That's why I suggested push from the other side of the radiator instead of pull from where the fan is now, plus you'd get the fresh air.

You can only do what you can in such a tight space though.

I'm not too worried about the airflow with the Delta that is coming :D

AFB1212SHE_01.jpg

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=36_407_696&products_id=26058

120x120x38 mm
151.85 CFM @ 3700 RPM
53.0 dBA
12.60 watts
1.05 amps
Maximum Air Pressure 14.50 mm H²O
12v DC
PWM 4 pin connector

That's true. So you don't have the Delta yet... I was looking at the pic of the fan on your rad and I knew it looked a lot like my San Ace H101 fans. Is a San Ace on there now?

Thanks Dean :)

BTW - another package from performance-pcs.com just arrived :clap:

OK, I've got a few updated today.

I've decided to do one more part change. The 5870 still wasn't quite powerful enough for my tastes, so I swapped that for something a little more potent. I also sleeved most of my PSU wires and added heatsinks to the mobo VRMs.

The stock PSU
MAX11L50.jpg

Opened up
MAX11L51.jpg

Step one was to create a secondary hole to pass the SATA power connectors through.
MAX11L52.jpg

Since both HDD & SSD are located directly below the PSU, this line was cut intentionally very short.
MAX11L53.jpg

Turned out pretty good.
MAX11L54.jpg

All the extra wires which will not be used in this build were cut short and tucked in safely.
MAX11L55.jpg

All remaining wires sleeved.
MAX11L56.jpg

Although not all individually.
MAX11L57.jpg

As you can see on the 24pin connection, only 1/2 of them are sleeved individually, I'll do the rest when I get more sleeve in :rolleyes:
MAX11L58.jpg

Cleaned up the inside quite a bit though. Also, notice the SSD/HDD have been rotated 180 degrees :)
MAX11L59.jpg

I swapped the location of the rad & fan to attempt to improve cooling with a push setup ;)
MAX11L60.jpg

MAX11L61.jpg

MAX11L62.jpg

MAX11L63.jpg

Here is the new addition :D
MAX11L64.jpg

MAX11L65.jpg

MAX11L66.jpg

I also added an aluminum fan filter to assist with dust filteration :)
MAX11L67.jpg

MAX11L68.jpg

Doing a little testing right now, and as expected I cannot stress test the CPU and GPU at the same time and stay within a safe power envelope. But I can run the GPU full boar with FurMark and it's only drawing about 505W at the wall, which is easily in the safe range. I also played Crysis Warhead for a few minutes and never saw it draw more than about 380W at the wall....so I should be perfectly fine with this setup :thup:

Last edited:
Nice! GTX480 in a miniITX build :D

Do you have cool air getting to that beast GPU somehow? Also, you need to cover up that hub sticker :p

Back