• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64-bit Server 2008 and Virtualization

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebug122

I hope this is in the right section :-/

I have a Toshiba laptop with a T4200 Pentium Dual Core CPU in it which, according to the Intel website, does NOT support "Intel Virtualization Technology". However I've been working with virtual machines of 32-bit operating systems on it for almost a year now.

This year at school, I've been asked to install Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 as a VM (using VMware). Does the CPU's ability to support virtualization affect whether or not I'll be able to run the 64-bit OS as a VM?

The host OS on the laptop is Windows 7 x64 Home Premium with 4GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM if that helps.

Nope. Virtualization Technology is just an instruction set designed to enhance performance of virtual instances. It's not a requirement for anything. I'm not sure if you can run a 64-bit instance on a 32-bit host OS, but as long as your host OS is 64 bit, you shouldn't have any trouble running Server 2008 x64 in a VM.

Know Nuttin is correct. in order to run a 64 bit virtual machine, your processor needs to support 'Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)' regardless of what host operating system you are currently running. according to this page (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37251), your cpu does not support it.

Back