• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP memory leak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mayagrafix

Does anyone know if XP SP3 normally leaks RAM during normal everyday use? I have to reboot at least once a day to get all my RAM back.

Thanks for any info :sn:

Be the first I heard of. Next time its hogging ram bring up the task manager and identify the program that's "using" the most. That will help narrow it down.

Ya it's more likely to be a program that needs an update or something along those lines.

What exactly do you mean by 'leaks RAM'? does the total amount of ram shown reduce over time? or is it just free memory that reduces? tell us more about your symptoms

From his description it sounds like he is talking about the amount of free memory gradually goes down over time.

This could be caused by a number of things...
1) If you open programs you obviously will have less free RAM, but I'm going to assume he meant the amount of free RAM is less when nothing is running. Although its hard to tell what may be left running in the background and using memory, which brings us to the next point.

2) You could have some sort of virus/malware/etc. sapping your resources, try running the normal cleaning tools like malwarebites etc.

3) One of the programs you use may be leaking memory. If it is happening at a startling rate, that is, a gig or more in a few hours as it sounds like you are describing (requiring multiple reboots a day), then you should probably do some google searches on the programs you run to see if one of them is a known culprit.

Back