• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fish tank water cooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It sounds more like you are trying to create a reservoir out of the fish tank if you are going to use a radiator too.

Too much hassle for minimum benefit. It's going to be a big hassle to clean slime out of your loop.

I'm planning on setting up a loop using a canister filter for fish tanks. It will pump water out of the tank through the cpu block ( it will be filtered first) then back into the fish tank. It's just an idea for now so any advice or problems you see would be a huge help.

OP: I hope by now you see we know. Many have failed at your exact endevour. We been at this, some over 8 years. Many have seen it all and say LOL! No way for many reasons.

Lets let this die unless the OP posts pics. If he don't get it now, bless his children........... They gonna need it.

I am taking microbiology right now. And let me tell you there is bacteria everywhere if you add heat and water they grow super fast. I also want to see pictures.

It has been done successfully before, with pics even.
One guy just used a 10g tank with no fish.

It has been done successfully before, with pics even.
One guy just used a 10g tank with no fish.

How long were the temps good? We know from experiance and science with modern rigs there is no way a 10 gallon tank can absorb the heat for more than a few hours under modern loads, and take HOURS+ to get back to usable temps.

No fish. Still temp issues.

One other thing is the fish food might get up in your loop!

That's the point of the filter. The water is going through the filter before it ever touches the cpu block. Also I doubt I'll have pics in three weeks. I really want to do this but money is tight as I have no job. ( luckily no expenses either) So it may be awhile until this happens.

How long were the temps good? We know from experiance and science with modern rigs there is no way a 10 gallon tank can absorb the heat for more than a few hours under modern loads, and take HOURS+ to get back to usable temps.

No fish. Still temp issues.

Weeks/months. It was a c2d of some sort, not an i7 heatmonster.

Just thought I'd add something I forgot to say before. A little while ago I cooled my Core 2 Duo 1.8 on water and ran it at 3 GHz. My setup was an aquaextreme block, swiftech mcp 655 pump and a sealed 5 gallon home depot bucket with barbs added. No radiator. Totally silent, temps in the only 60s even after running for hours. So... why wouldn't a 10 gallon aquarium work? Unless it had hot lights over it or something stupid.

Think about the issues that people have with loops without introducing macro-biology to the picture. I can't imagine a world where this worked, unless you were willing to put in a RIDICULOUS amount of upkeep that would give you stress-hives and cause you to go bald prematurely. I also think that you are over-estimating the capabilities of a water filter. I'm less concerned about the immediate heat issues and more with the notion that you will likely destroy the components in your water loop quickly with this idea. I would be truly happy to be proven wrong. Also, if this is likely to kill your fish, than what's the point? If this was successfully completed it would be AWESOME. But if it were successfully completed all except that the fish died right away than you really haven't done a whole lot IMO. Either way good luck! Pics are a must!

Back