• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fish tank water cooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
one more concern is that copper in the water can be toxic to invertabrates, so this plan could pose a risk to any snails, shrimp, etc.

I was thinking of having a rad cool the water before it goes back into the tank. There will be fish but I'm not worried about them. In fact they will be dead before the water temp starts to stress them out. The tank will just be for feeder fish for my bigger cichlid and giant gourami. ( don't have the gourami yet) and I assumed there would build up in the cpu block but it wouldn't be that bad. The pump I would be using has a flow rate of 900GPH so build in the block doesn't worry me a whole lot.
I'm all for using what's at hand but I honestly think you're asking for trouble here. If you do go through with it pick the water block with the largest channels in it - something very low restriction. Micro-channels and tightly laid out pins are bound to catch stuff the filter missed - and things the tubing will never catch, either.

If you want cheap get a heater core ... ;)

+1 for pics. after reading thru the thread, OP's gonna do it with/without our suggestions. Been doing the H2O thing as long as most here and I applaud anyone still trying to do it DIY.
Btw, what cpu will you be cooling? do you plan on adding a gpu in the loop? that'll really get those feeders moving! LOL.

definitely get some pics up and of the fish you'll be feeding!

Back