• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First HTPC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Catalan

Putting together my first htpc w/ spare parts I have and looking for opinions. It'll be used for streaming, some web browsing, playing dvds/dvr, emulator gaming, etc. Id like to keep everything below $350, I have no preference of brand, but I do like the case a lot so I'm pretty set on that.

Win7 Home Premium 32x $0
Intel E7200 w/ E5200 Heatsink $0
Corsair 2x1GB CM2X1024-6400C4 $0
SilverStone LC02 "Clone" w/ 220w psu $35 ebay
EVERCOOL 80x15mm + 2x Scythe 60x25 Mini Kaze $27 jab-tech
Gigabyte G41M-ES2L $51 ewiz
Laptop SATA DVD/CD R/W Drive $25
Samsung 1TB SpinPoint F3 $60 ebay
PowerCooler Go! 5450 512MK3-SH w/ low profile bracket $25 AMIR newegg
PCI-E 1x Ribbon Riser Cable + PCI-E 16x Ribbon Riser Cable $18 ebay
Internal USB IR Receiver w/ MCE Remote $25 ebay
AVerMedia Duet (White Box) $57 ebay

Total = $323 AMIR

**Updated w/ Total Cost**

Ordered everything, just waiting on it to come in.

Last edited:
You don't really need much in terms of a mobo for a HTPC. Performance doesn't matter.

As for the card, are you using unencrypted cable? If so, then the Happauge card will work, not sure what a duet is. These days I suggest HD-PVRs for forward compatibility. It has the advantage of working with any signal source and full HD support (potentially 3d support as well but I have not tested that myself). Content operators are little b*t*hes these days and you need the flexibility to be able to constantly switch to a better deal. This is one of the advantages of a diy HTPC. The HD-PVR will ensure you can switch to whatever with minimal fuss.

Back