• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rough time reaching 220bclk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

transpro61181

Registered
CPU-i7 930 DO
Board-R3E
Ram Corsair Dominator 1866

I was wondering if anyone is reaching a stable bclk of 220 and higher with this setup at reasonable qpi/vvt voltages. I was able to achieve it last night, BUT i had to raise the DRAM volts to 1.70 and the Qpi/VTT up to 1.59. I booted to windows but shut down and went back to 200 bclk, because i was VERY uncomfortable with my QPI/VVT that high. Any recommendations anyone

when you get the uncore up very high you are more than likely going to have to raise the vtt up to roughly were you had it set. for me to get over 2000 on memory which puts uncore at 4000 or more I have to give 1.56-1.6 on the vtt. if you back the memory down to 1600 you can prolly get away with around 1.45 on the vtt

yeah there is just a lot of mixed opinions about how much is the max on that vvt voltage. many say never to go above 1.4. I know overclocking will reduce the life of the processor, but i dont want nothing catastrophic to happen to it. I dont plan on letting it run 24-7 with that overclock, at the same time i would like at least a year or two of life from the processor at that voltage

Voltage is primarily relative. If you can dissipate the heat generated by the extra voltage, then the chips lifespan should not be negatively effected.

What type of cooling are you on, and what were your temperatures?

1.4V? That is not high at all.

here is my current specs i7 930 D0 oc to 4.2ghz
bclk 200
multi 21
cpu core 1.334
cpu pll 1.812
qpi/dram 1.317
ioh 1.203
ioh/pcie 1.509
ich 1.151
ich/pcie 1.508
dram 1.642

all of this verified on probelt with dvom. system at idle

I have a very nice w/c setup dd cpu and gpu block/gtx 480rad w/d5 laing pump 1/2tubing

i just ran prime 95 for an hour with these settings and had 72 degree C max temp on coretemp. idle temps are 39-41C

here is my current specs i7 930 D0 oc to 4.2ghz
bclk 200
multi 21
cpu core 1.334
cpu pll 1.812
qpi/dram 1.317
ioh 1.203
ioh/pcie 1.509
ich 1.151
ich/pcie 1.508
dram 1.642

all of this verified on probelt with dvom. system at idle

I have a very nice w/c setup dd cpu and gpu block/gtx 480rad w/d5 laing pump 1/2tubing

i just ran prime 95 for an hour with these settings and had 72 degree C max temp on coretemp. idle temps are 39-41C

That is a perfect little setup right there ;) You're right in the sweet spot for the 920/930, with decenlty low voltages, and temps under control... you're lookin good. You might be able to lower your CPU Vcore a bit, but other than that... you're spot on:thup:

The only time I would deviate from those settings, is if you were going to start benchmarking... in which case, a lot of things start to change. I'm relatively sure you're rock solid stable right now.

Regarding your 220 base clock question. A slight bump in PCIe frequency might aid you in reaching 220 bclk (101-103) Once you go over 220, expect to give it 110-115. Really I'd say anything over where you're currently at, is VERY chip dependent (as far a stability is concerned) 4-4.2ghz stable is cake for these chips, 4.2-4.4 stable takes a pretty good chip, 4.4-4.6 stable takes a great chip.

yeah its definately a very stable setup..until i try to increase bclk. My goal is 220 bclk. I want to increase bclk so my memory can run at the proper speed. right now its at 1600 and i want it to get as close to 1866 as possible. At this bclk i can only go 1600 or 2005 mhz. What is the maximum "somewhat" safe qpi/vvt voltage i can do?..cause i had to get awful close to 1.6v for the qpi/vvt and 1.70 on the dram to get a post

At this bclk i can only go 1600 or 2005 mhz. What is the maximum "somewhat" safe qpi/vvt voltage i can do?..cause i had to get awful close to 1.6v for the qpi/vvt and 1.70 on the dram to get a post

I'm a Bencher... so my definition of safe... is a lot different than other. :D So I'll leave that question for someone else.

As far as the RAM goes. I'd just run it at 1600. You will NEVER notice the difference between 1600 and 1866. If anything... I'd try to tighten the timings down a little bit at 1600, and you'll outperform the rated specs ;) You will notice changes in timings as opposed to small changes in speed.

Considering the fact that i am a complete oc noob, i think im doing pretty good. I have had this rig for 2 months now and did extensive research and just a few days ago actually started overclocking. Im going to take ur advise and leave it at 1600. Just a couple more questions though. 1. Is 200 bclk considered low in the overclocking community for my rig, cause i know bclk is pretty much the entire foundation of the overclocking process and many people boast 220 and 230bclk with this chip and board on water. 2. what timing do you recommend for the ram. Right now it is at 9-9-9-24.

I set the timings to 8-8-8-24 and so far 15 min into prime 95 with max memory test its stable. Think I could get it tighter?

trial and error my friend.. try it at all 7s.. if it doesnt post try 8-7-7-8-24.. vary the combos and you might be suprised!

and 200 bclk is fine.. its standard, but if you can up the multi instead its almost as good!

and the diff between 4.2 and say 4.4 and even 4.6 would probably not be super noticable to most apps.. its more bragging rights.. and if you wanted to do that you could just fib! I mean.. cmon I can do [email protected]!!!

7's might be pushing it for those Dom's... if they were GT's they would do it easily. Doesn't hurt to try though:thup: Keep us updated

If you're buying corsair, Dominator GT's, are the superior sticks. No problem though. Push what you've got, you'll probably be surprised ;).
CL7 1600mhz are standard timings for good Ram... shoot for that.

UPDATE: I took a closer look at the ram and they are GT's! but heres the wierd thing, the numbers on the side of the ram say cmt6gx3m3a1866c9, but memtest v4.1 list all three of the sticks as cmt6gx3m3a2000c8. Does this mean the manufacturer had a misprint on the stick and i actually got 2000mhz ram instead, cause that would be SO AWESOME!

cpu z says cmt6gx3m3a2000c8 and they are black and red. right now my timings are 7-7-7-24 and passed memtest86 v1.4 with no errors and so far one hour on prime 95 on max memory test as i speak =)

Back