• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows xp install blue screen of death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

I have a hp g61 laptop with windows 7 64bit from the factory. I am in desperate need of getting xp on it and have a spare hdd and legit copy of xp home laying here. I popped in the new hdd, put in windows cd, booted from cd. The typical blue screen pops up with white and black text and does the needed things along the bottom. Once finished I get a blue screen of death and thats that. Anyone know what could be causing this?

This happens with the original hdd and spare one. I can install xp fine in a virtual machine but I need usb support so a virtual machine wont exactly work for me.

Running in xp mode is out of the question as well since this is the base version of windows 7 that I have.

Ive been out of computers for some time now so im quite lost lol.

No idea on if I can sent to IDE mode. I can take a look though.

As for getting xp installed. I cant. I get to the first screen that pops up after it says "checking hardware configuration". It scrolls the few things along the bottom (asking f6 to installing 3rd party raid, etc,etc) then as soon as all that is done scrolling I get the BSOD.

This is the screen I can get to. Then once it needs to move onto the next scree/step I get the bsod.

http://www.simplyguides.net/images/guides/xp_home_install/3.jpg

You'll either need to slipstream in your ahci drivers or change to IDE mode

^ thanks ill get into bios right now and see if I can switch to ide mode.

Cant switch to ide mode. Cant find an option remotely related to doing so.

Nothing sata related most laptops will allow you to change it? If not then use nlite and create yourself an install CD with the sata drivers you require.

Just look for anything that says SATA on it in the BIOS and see what options it gives you.

What version of XP are you running? Is it with SP1 or SP2?

I've had issues loading XP SP1 on a modern laptop, but not with SP2 and even SP3.

Just look for anything that says SATA on it in the BIOS and see what options it gives you.

What version of XP are you running? Is it with SP1 or SP2?

I've had issues loading XP SP1 on a modern laptop, but not with SP2 and even SP3.

More thank likely sp1 its old as ever. Ive got a legit copy of xp pro as well. Maybe ill give it a try but I think it is sp1 as well.

When going into bios all I can pull up is the first section with basic info, next is memory and hdd check, next is boot options, next is options to save/discard/etc.

I get to the first screen that pops up after it says "checking hardware configuration". It scrolls the few things along the bottom (asking f6 to installing 3rd party raid, etc,etc) then as soon as all that is done scrolling I get the BSOD.

Are you using the keypad or a USB keyboard? If you have anything plugged into the UBS ports disconnect them and try installing again, XP has issues with installing and using USB devices during the install and will do what you are saying it is doing. Once the OS is loaded and the drivers installed then usb works fine.

Are you using the keypad or a USB keyboard? If you have anything plugged into the UBS ports disconnect them and try installing again, XP has issues with installing and using USB devices during the install and will do what you are saying it is doing. Once the OS is loaded and the drivers installed then usb works fine.

I sure hope that is not true since I install XP from a USB CDROM all the time, using my USB wireless desktop suite.

I sure hope that is not true since I install XP from a USB CDROM all the time, using my USB wireless desktop suite.

It can be an issue in some cases there are some articles on MS site about it, I used to have the direct link to it but its hard to find. I have two of the systems in my sig and one uses PS2 keyboard while the other uses a USB, the PS2 loads fine while the USB would error while trying to load then I remembered that and put my PS2 keyboard on it and it loaded fine. Sometimes disabling the USB legacy in bios will help to get around it until the OS is installed then it can be enabled again after that and everything works fine.

It can be an issue in some cases there are some articles on MS site about it, I used to have the direct link to it but its hard to find. I have two of the systems in my sig and one uses PS2 keyboard while the other uses a USB, the PS2 loads fine while the USB would error while trying to load then I remembered that and put my PS2 keyboard on it and it loaded fine. Sometimes disabling the USB legacy in bios will help to get around it until the OS is installed then it can be enabled again after that and everything works fine.

Hmm noted.

I wonder if it is USB/USB2 related... (meaning the KB came out shortly after USB2 hit the streets...)

I cant find the page again, when I was getting the error I was able to search for that specific error and was able to find the page on MS site, it would be during the part where it was searching for hardware when installing you could see it get to ???usb.dll then the system would hang, throw a fast error then reboot. MS was saying that XP did not use or support USB Legacy and to disable it and it should work fine. I have never tried it since I found that page and like I said just used the PS2 to solve my issue. I really wish I could find the link again because most sites (not MS) say to make sure its enabled but MS said the other.

As Trap05 stated before, you need to download the drivers for the ahci drivers and add them to the installation. This stumped me a few months back going from Windows 7 starter to XP on my netbook. If you need any extra help slipstreaming just shoot me a pm and I'll set you up.

This also happened to me with Vista Ultimate on another HP laptop I had to reformat. Seems only Win7 carries the correct drivers for the later models.

Back