• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for good Exhaust and Intake fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just a nickname

Hello!

I want to add some fan to my case and I was wondering which fan I should be looking at.

feature1.jpg

I have a CM 690 II and I was thinking at adding two 120mm bottom (intake #4) or one 140mm HDD bay (intake #7) and one bottom.

Also one 140mm top (exhaust #1) or one side (exhaust #5).

Note: there's already 3 fan #1 (max two top), #3 and #2.

That'd bring me to a total of 6 fans (3 stock fan + 3 new fans); 3 intakes and 3 exhausts. I'd like to have a negative pressure so I may add the intel fan (I reused it) on one of the side spot to add some exhaust air to keep the negative pressure... So what are you thinking about this and which fan you would get?

My budget is about 30-40 box, I'll probably need some cable adapter as I only have 4-pins connectors left...

Well, the coolermaster R4 fans are very good, they are 120mm and provide 70cfm and are really quiet, i have one in the back of my case and im sure it can dry my wet hair in two minutes, its a very reliable fan and i bought it for 7 dollars at compusa

r4's are average at best...they're noisy for the air they move.

I think they are average if compared to a Delta fan, but i think they provide enough air and are quiet enough for my liking, helps keep my Phenom II X4 at 67 degrees Fahrenheit even with the ambient temp being at around 75 all aircooled.

They are average compared to all fans. That is what average means, better than some worse than some in about equal proportions :p

They are average compared to all fans. That is what average means, better than some worse than some in about equal proportions :p

I know, just thought you meant they were nothing special, but ofcourse, htere are better fans and worse fans too;)

I know, just thought you meant they were nothing special, but ofcourse, htere are better fans and worse fans too;)

The biggest issue is how many fan types have you conducted solid tests on? Or are you just going with your opinion. If you are like most of us, in a 5-10 year period we might go through 4-6 types of new fans for new builds. And thats not near enough to base any quantitative results on.

There are MANY good links to proper fan testing done by the pros. So saying they are good can mess someone up if the noob just goes with your comment. I would never recommend those fans because I have seen the testing results and remember the wild claims Coolermaster made. It was quickly disproven, was a pretty funny joke around for a while.

At work so can't give you a batch of links for a few 100 fans tested.

The biggest issue is how many fan types have you conducted solid tests on? Or are you just going with your opinion. If you are like most of us, in a 5-10 year period we might go through 4-6 types of new fans for new builds. And thats not near enough to base any quantitative results on.

There are MANY good links to proper fan testing done by the pros. So saying they are good can mess someone up if the noob just goes with your comment. I would never recommend those fans because I have seen the testing results and remember the wild claims Coolermaster made. It was quickly disproven, was a pretty funny joke around for a while.

At work so can't give you a batch of links for a few 100 fans tested.

Then what fans would you recommend, cause i have only tried Apevia, Thermaltake, Silenx and Coolermaster fans and they all seem pretty good, but i liked the coolermaster and silenx the most, but since my pc needs some personality, i prefer the r4 with leds.

Yeah I've just got the 120 Antec Tri-cools and they work fine and are killer green. The (2) 140s are basic Antec and are quiet. I run nice and cool even in high ambient temps.:soda:

My new favorite and only fans I use in my case are Gentle Typhoons. They push less air than some other fans in free air, but their noise signature is awesome.

hello,
I'm currently having the same case as the thread owner has....
and I've already sold most of my stock fans comin' with case so I'm currently lookin' for replacement:)

what came across my mind is having another delta to fit inside my case (PWM controlled of course)...
but I'm slightly worried for they power consumption since I can't afford to upgrade my PSU right now (you can see my rig on my sig):(

any thought what fans should I grab?
currently I'm interested to grab some 120mm yates, which I can't tell what the model is . but the seller claim that the yates are rated for 88CFM, 2200RPM @44dB...
these fans come with only two wire (power only), the power consumption as stated by the seller is 0.3A @12v....
will these yates be a decent choice?

thx in advance:)

Never been impressed by any of the Yates. Noisy and the airflow isn't really all that good. What you get really depends on what is available in Indonesia. If you have the option of Deltas, that's how I would look, but spend some time comparing specs so you get the most bang for your buck.

Never been impressed by any of the Yates. Noisy and the airflow isn't really all that good. What you get really depends on what is available in Indonesia. If you have the option of Deltas, that's how I would look, but spend some time comparing specs so you get the most bang for your buck.

the great thing about yates is the noise/performance/dollar

the great thing about yates is the noise/performance/dollar
Yup, that's why I like them. And they last a long time, too. They're not super amazing, but they're quality sleeve bearing fans at a very good price point.

i have the same case. gentle typhoons are without a doubt #1, but expensive. if you are looking for something inexpensive and quiet get fans with fluid dynamic bearings. silverstone fans are very good, especially the air penetrators. gelid fans have good bearings and are relatively inexpensive. masscool ball bearing fans arent bad for the price and you can lay them horizontally without ruining them.

if youre looking for the least expensive fans of decent quality, yate loons all the way. but they are sleeve bearing fans which dont last as long.

+1 to the Gentle Typhoons =D. I have 4 running at the moment. 2 1850s and 2 1150's. For 1850RPM fans, they're extremely quiet. Especially because it's more of a low hum for the noise they produce over a higher hiss.

thx for all the inputs guys....:)

always wanted the gentle thypoon as the permanent solutions for my case fans, but yet I can't find any in Indonesia:(
guess the yates are not so bad either huh?:D

maybe I'll grab them as a temporary solution, coz they're surely cheap...
they should be fun to toy with for a while before I can manage to get more deltas :rocks:

as for the gelid, and silverstone...
maybe I'll skip them for now, for the cost sake really:)

again,
thx for all the suggestions:)

if youre looking for the least expensive fans of decent quality, yate loons all the way. but they are sleeve bearing fans which dont last as long.
They've actually lasted quite a while for me - probably a couple of years now. They're all placed vertically. Some of the expensive Scythe fans I bought - the ones with smaller hubs - died surprisingly quickly with gummed up bearings.

johann851, just curious...did you by chance oil them up, and with what? I know of cases where fans have gotten gooey after using 3-in-1 oil.

Back