• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I thought OEM versions of Windows were keyed to the Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah you are right.

Basically like you said....

If you were to get an OEM copy of Windows apart from a Brand Name PC you can use the License Key up to 5 times (Win7) on unique machines until it locks out.

But, if you get a Brand Name computer the License key you get along with the computer is typically only for that specific PC.

Sometimes even the key is loaded into the recovery disk itself. I only know that because we ordered a few HP machines for the office.

:thup:

Ya dell has the key included on the restore media as well. Also the last several win7 machines we've gotten here don't have to be activated, they seem to be activated already. Even if you reinstall with the recovery disc it didn't ask me to activate. Also, it does not perform any check as to what system it is in. Ive used Dell media to restore hp and Toshiba laptops before because that was what I had available. I then just manually reran activation to change the key to the one on the sticker but I didn't have to technically (legally is another matter) as it didn't complain in any way about the key.

@turbohans, there are instructions out there on how to copy the activation files to a computer when you reinstall, just google it. Note I am NOT saying this to circumvent M$s activation, just that it is possible to copy the activation from the same key.

@DaveHCYJ, yes that is the way it is worded. which means the loophole people use is as long as you keep one physical piece of hardware that was from the original computer, even if its just a SATA cable..., then you are within the EULA.

while there are limitations on reactivation before you have to call MS don't worry about it too much. I have never once been denied an activation when calling with a legitimate key. Just tell them whatever, reinstalled OS, upgrade, they don't really care they just want the extra check in their for their records. As long as you don't say something like you are reactivating so you can sell your PC to Korea to be used in an ICBM I don't think you will get any grief for it.

Seems like there is some confusion over the meaning of OEM here. What the OP is talking about is the OEM windows from Microsoft, which has no restrictions whatsoever other than the activation code, which is not really a limitation. Then there are the OEM computer manufacturer windows disks which are different. These often look to make sure the motherboard is from the same manufacturer but other than that I haven't ever seen these require an activation code. The OEM from microsoft windows disk is really the only one applicable here since who on ocforums doesn't have a custom built PC?

[...]the OEM windows from Microsoft, which has no restrictions whatsoever other than the activation code, which is not really a limitation. Then there are the OEM computer manufacturer windows disks which are different.
HAI! :D

I respectfully disagree; OEM is OEM, Retail is Retail, VL/MAK is VL/MAK. OEM ("Original Equipment Manufacture") OS installs alone have no hardware "checks" from Microsoft, this is true. Those usually are added by the OEM. :(

What someone buys in a store is Retail; standard end-users cannot purchase OEM software alone, even though AFAIK the only real difference is the key 'set' and the EULA. Exceptions would be a 'System Builder' purchase, for example when I bought Windows Home Server from Newegg a few years ago. :thup:

I'm probably giving more detail than necessary to answer the OP, however; the 'technical' answer would be:
No, OEM versions of Windows are not keyed/restricted/etc to the motherboard at the time of install. (Not referring to post-install hardware modifications and such.) But! Pre-installation code/scripts/etc that the OEM might add can restrict their CDs from being used on other hardware. This has nothing to do with Windows or Microsoft; this is something the OEM adds in after the fact and has no bearing on the version of Windows in question.

OT, but you can take any piece of software and add in custom pre-installation 'checks' to restrict it's use. ;)

Seems like there is some confusion over the meaning of OEM here. What the OP is talking about is the OEM windows from Microsoft, which has no restrictions whatsoever other than the activation code, which is not really a limitation. Then there are the OEM computer manufacturer windows disks which are different. These often look to make sure the motherboard is from the same manufacturer but other than that I haven't ever seen these require an activation code. The OEM from microsoft windows disk is really the only one applicable here since who on ocforums doesn't have a custom built PC?

Interesting. I purchased a laptop an ACER laptop a while back (yeah, my bad) and it was running XP. I purchased it in the window to where I could receive a free upgrade to Windows Vista. I requested the upgrade and got the disk. It was definitely an OEM copy of Vista, it was also stamped with ACER's logo, as if to say it was only going to work on that laptop.

Nope, decided to install on my desktop and it worked just fine.

Back