• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabling CnQ and C1E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulwatch5

When I first started OCing my rig I was told that these options should be disabled if you're planning on OCing to your full potential. These options seem like good ideas. Lower clock speeds and voltage when not needed to reduce heat and save on power. Sounds like a good idea. So just for an experiment I turn them both on and my system still seems stable just now at a lower idle temp.

Was just wondering how many of you guys OC with these options on or is it a bad idea to have them running and should always be turned off?

I can think of a few situations where it could cause issues. If the fan speed gets lowered too much (gets put in a "quiet" profile), the processor could run warmer than normal and become unstable. The other is when the processor is underclocked, the voltage is usually lowered. If it isn't lowered "correctly" (IE: Too much or not at all), the processor could become unstable. Bottom line, it may run too hot, have not enough voltage or have too much voltage.

But, if it works for you, then I wouldn't worry about it. Problem with "idle testing" is there is not really a test short of waiting to see if it crashes. You get less heat output and less power consumption if it works. :shrug:

When I first started OCing my rig I was told that these options should be disabled if you're planning on OCing to your full potential. These options seem like good ideas. Lower clock speeds and voltage when not needed to reduce heat and save on power. Sounds like a good idea. So just for an experiment I turn them both on and my system still seems stable just now at a lower idle temp.

Was just wondering how many of you guys OC with these options on or is it a bad idea to have them running and should always be turned off?
I always recommend turning off the power saving while you're overclocking and testing - but if you've already got your overclock tested and you're not going to push it anymore then you may as well try it for a few days. Sometimes the power saving features will work with an OC but the only way to know is to try it. I ran CnQ for a month or so on my sig rig until I started crunching - no problems at all.

The only thing I wouldn't do is enable SmartFan. IMO, it's never a good idea to reduce cooling on an OC'ed rig ... :)

all of the above :)
Quick, Quiet, Cool, Clocked and thermally adjusted for need.
as long as it tests ok and none of the kickdowns mess with the speed.
for both the CPU and the GPU and the voltages as needed too
if you get crashing, flashing, thrashing, burps , bumps and brapps,
then switch things back and forth and see if that was the happs.
dont like it change it :)

before the boards would adjust fan speed , i would tune the fan to the need.
then they came out with fans that changed with the temps , but the change only caused contempt
then i got the full control of all the fans in the set, that meant changing fans to ones that go hell bent
I have always been a fan fox, someday I should sell the big fan Box.
:thup:

Yes you do not have that junk on, when your trying to test critical highs, as they can effect things.
but once you have a fully stable everything, turning them back on and seeing if you like that or not , piece of cake.

Last edited:
I had no problem using CNQ/Speedstep on my K8 and Core 2 rigs, but on my current setup I would get random crashes with it enabled.

I had no problem using CNQ/Speedstep on my K8 and Core 2 rigs, but on my current setup I would get random crashes with it enabled.
If you're serious about using it you might try raising the vCore and/or cpuNB voltage just a little. CnQ not working with an OC is usually the result of a speed/voltage mismatch at one of the steps ...

If you're serious about using it you might try raising the vCore and/or cpuNB voltage just a little. CnQ not working with an OC is usually the result of a speed/voltage mismatch at one of the steps ...

It's all moot for me at this point. I use this machine for audio recording and the USB recording interface that I use requires that CNQ is turned off. With CNQ on you can hear noises in the audio when the CPU changes speeds. Apparently this is a very common problem with USB recording interfaces.

So instead of leaving it on 24/7 like I used to, I set it to go to sleep after it's been idle for a while.

I am slightly undervolting my 945 with stock cooler and I think these options are on most of the time it will drop to 800mhz when it's not needing the raw power, I was getting shut downs but in the end it was my generic PSU that was the cause I now have my Corsair.

It's defo stable thou because I have been playing Fallout 3 for over a week and it's never crashed once no BSOD's nothing even temps are seriously decent they jump from around 32 to 40 most of time if I've played for over 3hrs. I'm getting back into PC gaming again because there's no loading times and graphics and the smoothness even with my 9600GT make me wish I played it 1st on PC.

Back