• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG The Classified Blue Folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, mostly done now. Currently running the 24 hour leak test.

Looking good so far.

100_0674.jpg

100_0675.jpg

The extra hose off the T connection at the bottom is for draining and refilling. It is much easer when you aren't trying to deal with trapped air.

Looks great!

Thanks Hokie!

I'm also considering making a fan bank to mount on the top to make sure there is enough airflow to keep multiple video cards cool enough.

I wonder, is it cheaper to build or buy a fan controller. This are only 3pin fans, so if I understand correctly, I need to drop the voltage to slow them down a bit.

Yep, 3-pins are easy, you only need to control the voltage. Depending on how much control you want, one of these could control quite a few all at once. If you want more individual control, the Lamptron FC-2 is a stout beast to control high wattage fans. :)

This is looking really good. I love the heater cores and their mount. Are they just help up by the same zip ties the fans are attached with?

This is looking really good. I love the heater cores and their mount. Are they just held up by the same zip ties the fans are attached with?

Nope, they are held on with 4-40 threaded nylon rods.

I can quickly remove the fans or the heater cores them selfs just by unscrewing 4 nuts.

Also, since I didn't see a way of attaching the cross piece in the heater core mounts with screws without damaging the fins, I used epoxy.

If this doesn't make sense, I'll take a close up photo and point out what I'm talking about.

Oh okay, those are nylon threaded rods, that's a better solution. To me, they looked like zip ties in the photo...:rolleyes:

Which cross piece are you talking about?

I am really like how this is turning out, I am really impressed. I can't wait to see how it all looks when it's up and folding :D Just make sure the folding name is the_cultie ;)

Oh okay, those are nylon threaded rods, that's a better solution. To me, they looked like zip ties in the photo...:rolleyes:

Which cross piece are you talking about?

Sorry, got slammed with household stuff to do when I got home last night.

The cross piece I'm talking about is in the view of the last photo I posted.

It is about halfway up the face of the heater core. If I'd screwed them in place, the heads or bodies of the screws would mash some fins down. So I used epoxy to hold them in place. The little white nuts you see are the other end of the threaded rods, and are what are actually holding the heater cores in place.

Oh, and no worries on the zip tie/rod mixup. They do look a lot alike. I just prefer the rod over the zip ties because it makes it so easy to pull the heater core and then put it right back if needed.

I see what you mean by the cross piece now. You might could have put spacers/washers on your nylon rods to make room for screw heads, but the epoxy looks to have worked out well.

The nylon rods/nuts will be much easier to remove and reassemble than zip ties. Good thinking :thup:

Offline for a few hours as I switch over to the new system.

Pics when I get back on.

Well, I'm back up, mostly. Still reinstalling everything.

Plus, one of the fans cliped my finger and tore a chunk out of the fingernail. Down to the quick.

Anyway:

100_0677.jpg

There will be 2 more video cards joining shortly, but this will do for a day or so.

100_0676.jpg

I'll work more on cable management later. But, plenty of room to play with.

100_0678.jpg

Here is a closeup of the 5 1/4" bay mounting system in use

Ever thought about rigging a car radiator fan to that radiator?? Like from a Honda Civic or Sentra?

Ever thought about rigging a car radiator fan to that radiator?? Like from a Honda Civic or Sentra?

No, can't say that I have.

Though the fans are fairly noisy. I'm thinking of swapping them out for a little bit with some quieter ones until I've got a fan controller.

The CPU is running about 45°C while running SMP folding. 27°C when in the BIOS.

Back