• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on upgrading please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuPaKiLLeR

Registered
So I have been out of the loop for a few years and was looking for some advice on upgrading without over hauling my whole system. the reason for this is I am wanting to play FFXIV and GW2 when they come out. I used the benchmark for FFXIV and about face palmed my keyboard when my score was 1300@ 1920x1080. Ran it at the lower res and got 2200.

My specs
evga 680i
evga 8800gts
e6600 oc@ 3.2
6 gigs of ram
syncmaster p2770hd

Now I am low on funds and would like to stay @ or under 3bills.
my question is.. best bang for my buck gpu? and should I upgrade my cpu as well? could I do both within the 3bills and take my rig to another level?
or just stick with upgrading the gpu?

thanks for any help!

wow it has been 6 years, just look at my avatar rofl!

I would shop around for another 8800gts, then look for a used 65nm quad. q6600 or q6700. New games like quads and the 8800gts, though old, isn't a bad card. I'll bet you could stay under $300 if you found those used.

By the way, the original 680i hate 45nm quads, so your stuck with 45nm duals or 65nm quads.

Although I dislike used items I think ill give it a go, thanks for the heads up on the 45nm quad. I had no idea.

thanks again!

Sadly I think SLI and a quad is the way to go for a budget of $300....that or suck it up for a bit longer and save to get a bigger budget. You have $200+ sitting there in 'credit' with your current system as well.......

Back