• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow Internet Connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tunnel

Ok i recently built myself a new machine to handle my downloads etc. But for some reason the download speed on it is really slow. I tried download some drivers and these download at like 24kbps when on my laptop using the same internet connection and site they download at like 600kbps. The laptop is wireless and the desktop is wired on gigabit.

Does anybody have any suggestions or any reasons why this is happening its driving me nuts?

Locally everything seems fine and the desktop can transfer to my NAS at speeds expected of 1gbps.

Done a speedtest.net on both here are the results.

Laptop - 5.93mbps
Desktop - 0.82mbps

Try replacing the cable or checking the connections. With a faulty cable you could be getting a lot of packet loss.

try plugging the computer directly to the cable modem/DLS modem. If this or the Grey Spectre's suggestions don't work then give us more information about computer, OS, Network configuration.

Happens when plugged directly into the router as well, so router must be on the blink, only thing i can think of.

Happens with both laptop and the desktop with every port on the router and 4 different types of cables.

Tried resetting the router etc. but still no luck.

Back